Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1016
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Let's See YOUR koi

I suspect the Shusui was the father, with the Chagoi or Goshiki as a possibility. I do not think Sanke, Utsuri or Showa are in it. I suspect Shusui based on the presence of motoaka and the appearance of the Hi. The body lines seem consistent with Shusui being involved, but that type of body can appear randomly and is not uncommon with Goshiki and Chagoi. (We tend to think of Chagoi as having the near perfect body form, but I have seen many with shapes similar to your little one.... and downright poor body lines as well. There may be more examples of fine bodies among Chagoi than other varieties, but much of what we see at dealers is the result of what Mark Gardner refers to as the 'illusion' from culling.)

Some years ago, there was an on-going thread on a koi board that shut down entitled 'Who's Your Daddy?' (or something like that). It was a fun thread. At first it was mainly a 'I'm going to surprise you' sort of thing, which was fun in itself. Over time, as the weird and wild examples of unusual koi piled up, you could begin to see how some traits and tendencies carried through from certain varieties.... not to the point of being able to determine flock spawn parentage in any reliable way! But, you began to get a sense of traits that tended to appear together.

Have fun solving your mystery parentage.

Let's See YOUR koi-uploadfromtaptalk1459037105770.jpg

The daddy. No motoaka only because of its phenotype. Its shape has a strong influence on its offspring, it would seem. Good call Mike!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

This is an offspring of my avatar yamabuki, which after winning best in hikarimoyo at 5 yrs 75cm, died a month later. It doesn't have the kinrin of its mom, nor its voluptuousness. Still, it caught my eye because of its large head. Minuses include 2 orange spots. I think it wags its tail too much and may indicate a condition. At 16 months and at 17cm in size, it is a runt if I were to compare to its siblings. Today, I segregated it to give it less competition for food, to give it a leg up to grow. Got another sibling to keep it company. It is very mild-mannered, reminds me of my shusui in terms of its disposition. https://youtu.be/ZHyn_JZOQ-g

At only 17cm after 16 months, you have made 'her' a bonsai koi! It is good that she is getting an opportunity to grow.

The orange spots are definite negatives. A greater negative is the head shape. Rather than being elongated, it has the shape sometimes referred to as an 'apple head'. This is a genetic trait often seen in Yamabuki, even ones that grow to be super jumbo. However, 'she' has nice color and shine. Add a friendly personality and you have a koi that can become beloved. There is something special about having an offspring of a favorite. I still have a very aged Hariwake, now in her 23rd year (I think that's right), whose parents were a Yamabuki and the first koi I spent the huge sum of $35 to acquire... a Ginrin Orenji. That seemed such an extravagant sum at the time. The Hariwake was never as nice as your 'bonsai Yamabuki', but her claim to pond space takes precedence over all others. She has endured my ignorance and laziness, and reminds me not to take myself too seriously.

Do you have a pic of a super jumbo yamabuki with an apple head, Mike? I wonder if it still looks as cute as when it was small. It is definitely a special koi, a gift from her mother to me. Her mom was also special, as she was the koi I observed greeting every koi there was in the pond when she was new in the pond. With such a personalty, and with a hearty appetite (she doesn't chew, only swallows, and begs for more no sooner than having gulped her portion), she left a void in the pond, and my hope is that this runt can stage a comeback and outdo her mom. 23 years is a long time. It is hard to imagine having your hariwake for so long Mike. Does she have a name? Does she come up to you and let you carry her? I've heard of koi becoming pets, but I wonder if they become like dogs in every way imaginable. Except for the bark, of course.

My koi are a hodge podge of everything. Nothing of too much interest in the Koi world, but local people enjoy them as just pretty fish for their ponds. I realize as I post this I don'rt have many "good" pictures of my koi. it's true. Photographing koi is an art of sorts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's See YOUR koi-101_6007.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Do you have a pic of a super jumbo yamabuki with an apple head, Mike? I wonder if it still looks as cute as when it was small. It is definitely a special koi, a gift from her mother to me. Her mom was also special, as she was the koi I observed greeting every koi there was in the pond when she was new in the pond. With such a personalty, and with a hearty appetite (she doesn't chew, only swallows, and begs for more no sooner than having gulped her portion), she left a void in the pond, and my hope is that this runt can stage a comeback and outdo her mom. 23 years is a long time. It is hard to imagine having your hariwake for so long Mike. Does she have a name? Does she come up to you and let you carry her? I've heard of koi becoming pets, but I wonder if they become like dogs in every way imaginable. Except for the bark, of course.
    No photo of an 'apple head' jumbo.

The Hariwake is named 'Junior', which made sense when she was a fingerling. She is not particularly friendly, but does not fear a net. She seems to know that I never try to catch her. Never shown and never will be.

wow! she is outstanding!

Beautiful koi and not a bad video of them too.

Outstanding!! That's what it's all about! Thanks for sharing