Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102
Results 1,011 to 1,016 of 1016
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Let's See YOUR koi

Quote Originally Posted by Koiboy98 View Post
    Outstanding!! That's what it's all about! Thanks for sharing
    Hi koiboy88. Thanks! I measured her again. She's now at 28cm. I must have measured wrong last time.
    I have a shiro muji (some beni specks left on dorsal ridge though). Same age as the yamabuki, but from a sanke Oyagoi. I kept it because I liked the body shape, and thought the transparent skin would eventually give way to a nice shiroji. The head still shows the inner flesh, making it appear pink. It's 33 cm.

Other than the lack of a pattern, how would you critique this koi?

https://youtu.be/BPPmBuIEfAI

I am way too much the novice to judge, but it is quite beautiful to me. Such a lustrous look.

Thanks koibo88. I'm reminded of the term "a face only a mother would love" I would kid a friend of mine. Guess what? I'm like a mom in this way with koi bred in my pond.

Yes the love of Koi is without prejudice. All Koi are beautiful. All people are beautiful, specially babies! LOL!!

Fry
    I have no idea what these are, just some fish given to me at the pet store for giving them plants. They are about 30cm, the bottom one was 1/4 black, but the color went away over summer, and is now reemerging. Can anyone identify this fish? They are low quality pattern wise, but the top fish does have nice skin, so I will see what her babies look like.Let's See YOUR koi-20160919_152853.jpg

Because the patterning is far removed from the ideal, giving them variety names has its problems. Technically, the top one is a Sanke (white ground with red and black patches, the sumi not wrapping) and the bottom one is a Shiro Bekko (white ground with sumi patches, the sumi not wrapping). The red on the top one appears to be fading. If it all goes away, this will also be a Shiro Bekko. If some stays, she will remain a failed Sanke.

It was long a trait of Sanke that the sumi would rise and fall as the fish developed, becoming somewhat stabilized after 4 or more years. 25 years ago, there was often discussion of how this trait behaved in the sumi of Torazo Sanke and the Matsunosuke Sanke. Those discussions are a thing of the past. The sumi of Sanke has improved to be more stable and notable at younger ages. It remains true, however, that tosai Sanke can display heavy 'baby sumi', a superficial sumi, that fades away to leave visible just defined patches of sumi. These patches can expand as the fish matures, and sometimes a patch will recede. However, the dramatic coming and going of sumi we saw in Sanke in the U.S. in the 1980s into the 1990s is not much seen anymore. Even back then, the better, more refined Sanke produced in Japan were more stable. We just did not see them imported into the U.S.

We often talk about Showa sumi being improved by the introduction of Sanke sumi through crosses. That is a trend that has been going on for quite some time, but particularly in the past quarter century. That talk can give the impression that Sanke sumi was always highly refined. It was not. It is a matter of Sanke sumi being a focus of refinement further back in time before the hobby gained the popularity in the English-speaking world that it enjoys today, and before the internet made such discussions easily accessed. The rising/falling sumi of the Torazo Sanke is gone from the scene, and good riddance! But, if you look through old koi magazines from the 1980s, you'll find writers praising its virtues. Everything is relative. Times change.

For breeding purposes, I'd suggest that you would get better overall results with a higher grade Sanke that retains her Hi. But, if you are going to use this one for the fun of it, then I'd suggest matching it with a Kohaku to improve the chances of some offspring with more enduring Hi.