Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Let's See YOUR koi

David,
    The serenity of your Koi is always a source of joy to my eyes.

One of the most intriguing things about your ponds is the absolute calm appearance of the Koi and Water. Your high turnover rates lead the mind to expect rapid movement and Koi working hard to overcome the strong currents. The reality seen in the Koi and their water paints a completely different picture of beauty, grace, and incredible power in the bodies of your Koi.

By the way...It is a day of Joy and anticipation here as well. Later today 3 Koi from SFF will be landing on American soil because of your generosity Grant, Victor, and myself are sharing in your Joy very soon
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Jumbo
    WOW David,... incredibly beautiful view! That's Koi keeping!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    David,
    The serenity of your Koi is always a source of joy to my eyes.

One of the most intriguing things about your ponds is the absolute calm appearance of the Koi and Water. Your high turnover rates lead the mind to expect rapid movement and Koi working hard to overcome the strong currents. The reality seen in the Koi and their water paints a completely different picture of beauty, grace, and incredible power in the bodies of your Koi.

By the way...It is a day of Joy and anticipation here as well. Later today 3 Koi from SFF will be landing on American soil because of your generosity Grant, Victor, and myself are sharing in your Joy very soon
    Brother Larry

It was great relief when Brother Victor broke the news to me about the shipment .. It's long overdue .. . Nevertheless , I would love to share the Joy and Anxiety together with you guys !!!

Just for discussion sake .....for years , most keepers would presume a fast turnover would seems to be chaotic or having high turbulent level in the pond , but it is not actually right . Only place that we can see or feel the water displacement movement is near the drainage or the surface skimmer . Some might even imagine fishes being sucked in , but this imagination is again very wrong . Those who studied or read on water flow , would be able to make a better assessment of these high turnover actually . There's a big difference between " water displacenment through gravity " and "water displacement through mechanical means " .
    Though these 4inch drainages can receive 20 tonnes of water each , but it can be "powerless" to draw water when a fish swims over it . This is what we defined as gravitational water displacement , and anything that comes in between the water flow and inlet , can actually cuts off the displacement movement . This is how "weak" it can be ... but good enough to draw in the fish waste as they come close enough . This is due to the bouyance of the fish waste . Fish waste is almost "weightless" in the water . It only requires a little flow or a caudal sweep from the fish to bring them to their respective "place" . Drop any sinking pallets few feet from the drainage , it will still sink straight down to the bottom of the pond , meaning ... the in-flow radius is actually very small .. probably less than the size of the inlets . In most cases , it's normally the caudal sweep or fish movement that actually pushes the food towards the drainage .
    Rationale behind a fast turnover , is to increase the process of filteration and distance covered in my case .

The 1st pond of water was drained-out last week and the refilled water was the actual water "fine-tuned" for these fishes . Anti Cholrine / Chloromine was added on the 2nd lot of water , salination at 0.2 pct to buffer spiking , oxgenation pushed to 10ppm , almost 11ppm at one point . A few pails of water from Paul's Pond was poured into Skylar's Pond each day before the fishes return . Water chilled to 24 deg celcius , as what I have for all my ponds ... . With all these preparation , the fishes would need a very short period of time to adapt to the surrounding and new environment ..... probably a couple of hours ... very different from climatization process .

I always believe , that with " new water " well prepared , we can avoid many issues , including New Pond Syndrome , which many keepers hate to go through one .

With Blessings , I believe these fishes will be able to embark on their journey to Jumbohood , with good Health & Shine ....

David

Thanks to all for Sharing their Wonderful Koi.

Brother David ,

To say "I Enjoy" watching your videos would be such a understatement. Your videos bring such a Calm to our world. There's nothing better for me then to see large koi cutting water as they enjoy their home.

The Music isn't bad either!

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Thanks to all for Sharing their Wonderful Koi.

Brother David ,

To say "I Enjoy" watching your videos would be such a understatement. Your videos bring such a Calm to our world. There's nothing better for me then to see large koi cutting water as they enjoy their home.

The Music isn't bad either!

Troy
    Brother Troy , Brother Powerman , Brother Mersey and Brother B.B

It makes the few weeks effort most rewarding and comforting , to have you guys sharing the appreciation of Skylar's Pond .

With this , I Thank You All Brothers ...

God Bless

Oyagoi
    i love watching the videos.
    i seem to look at my pond and koi and think i need more water movement or such to get the koi to swim more and build them up.
    you have great success with as you stated not the rapid movement of water and koi have that calm swim about them.

just 1 question the videos posted do not show any air stones running in pond.is this true?
    guess maybe with your turnover rate you would not need them in pond itself

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    just 1 question the videos posted do not show any air stones running in pond.is this true?
    guess maybe with your turnover rate you would not need them in pond itself
    Brother ,

All my ponds are actually running with at least 2 hi-blows in each pond .
    Shadow's Pond - 3 x 120W hi-blow in the main pond .
    Paul's Pond - 4 x 120W hi-Blow in the main pond .
    Skylar's Pond - 1 x 120W hi-blow in the main pond while there's 2 oxygen concentrator running with 2 long air curtain in the filteration chamber .

I would normally take videos from the quieter side of the pond , which leave the impression that there's no airstones running in the ponds .
    All my ponds are running with air-curtains , as well as long airstones that could be extended from one end of the width to the other end , which is why it needs 120W or at least a 80W hi-blow to push each airstone or air curtain to work the way I wanted them ...

These short videos taken just for you on the positioning of the air curtains in my ponds ..

David

p.s - These aeration from the hi-blows are not meant for increasing Dissolved Oxygen level , but in fact , they negate the high DO level all these while in my system ....
    sounds contradicting , but it's true .

Oyagoi
    THANKS for the videos.got excited when i saw you posted and went to this thread,had to hit refresh as video said if just posted "wait a few minutes to be uploaded"

i love videos of koi but love even more seeing the filtration and just the mechanics of a pond esp with them running.

I see the air curatin are at pond return side any thoughts on that vs i have been thinking of doing it down the long sides of pond but only 1/2 depth to keep from messing up bottom flow of waste.(my pond has drain at end opposite of return also location of skimmer.
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

I don't know why but when I watch these videos I get an urge to taste the water!

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    THANKS for the videos.got excited when i saw you posted and went to this thread,had to hit refresh as video said if just posted "wait a few minutes to be uploaded"

i love videos of koi but love even more seeing the filtration and just the mechanics of a pond esp with them running.

I see the air curatin are at pond return side any thoughts on that vs i have been thinking of doing it down the long sides of pond but only 1/2 depth to keep from messing up bottom flow of waste.(my pond has drain at end opposite of return also location of skimmer.
    Good Morning Brother Paul

I would recommend and agree that air curtain should be placed over the opposite side of the skimmers and away from the drainages as far as possible . This placement or positioning , must not impede or interfer in the work of the surface skimmer and bottom drain . My air curtain placement is by the return side . It looks like lots of water movement created in that sector of the pond , but trust me ... the amount of bubble or air-push , is good enough to move the column of water less than a meter and the push will weaken and die off within a few meter of the length . My ponds are 7 meters in length at least , and this has allow me to cater the " movement sector " if the fishes want to be there , and the quiet and calm sector over the rest of the pond ... . This will leave the fishes the benefit of choice of where they want to be ... and even resting in quieter water in the nite if they want to . My drainages on the opposite end of the return pipes as well , hand in hand with my skimmers .

David

Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast