Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Let's See YOUR koi

Quote Originally Posted by merseykoi View Post
    I don't know why but when I watch these videos I get an urge to taste the water!
    Morning Brother Mersey

I believe , with Faith and a little prayer , these water should be fit for drinking .... though I must admit .. I have not put my Faith to test so far ... Kidding brother ... just kidding ..

I must admit , that I do change the "water at source" to accomodate my fishes and water change , and if this changes help me improve the "qualities" of my pond water and fishes , I will definitely review this change at source when the time cometh .

Have a Nice Day Brother Mersey ..

David

One of my favorites. It's like a Platinum Kohaku. Old picture. The orange color is awesome now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's See YOUR koi-dsc03180.jpg   Let's See YOUR koi-dsc03182.jpg  

This thread has been very edutaining and I thank all those who have contributed to the edutainment. I especially thank Brother David for sharing with all of us his Paul and Skylar grow out ponds. Very thought provoking and some of his points definitely questioned some of my concepts of what an optimal GO pond should be. I do have a few questions for Brother David if/whenever he has time to answer:

1. Gosanke and kawarimono. Do you just have a fascination/admiration for submarine shaped chags and bukis or is there a theory behind why you keep gosanke and kawarimono together? Perhaps you keep them because they are friendly or their monotone enhances the Gosanke red, white and black?

2. The body shape on ALL of the koi in both Pauls' and Skylar's ponds is amazing! Torpedo shaped from head to tail. In your opinion, what contributed to this body shape? Genetics, water current/pond structure, or your feeding regimen?

3. Please, please, please keep all of us updated on how Skylar's pond perform a year or two down the road.

And your knowledge/theory of water.....well, let's not go there yet as my neurons are overheated right now.
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 03-13-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    I do have a few questions for Brother David if/whenever he has time to answer:

1. Gosanke and kawarimono. Do you just have a fascination/admiration for submarine shaped chags and bukis or is there a theory behind why you keep gosanke and kawarimono together? Perhaps you keep them because they are friendly or their monotone enhances the Gosanke red, white and black?

2. The body shape on ALL of the koi in both Pauls' and Skylar's ponds is amazing! Torpedo shaped from head to tail. In your opinion, what contributed to this body shape? Genetics, water current/pond structure, or your feeding regimen?

3. Please, please, please keep all of us updated on how Skylar's pond perform a year or two down the road.

And your knowledge/theory of water.....well, let's not go there yet as my neurons are overheated right now.
    Good Day Brother Lam ,

Probably I would answer each and every of your question , one at a time .

On Gosanke and kawarimono
    =====================

Nishikigoi Hobby Promotes Healthy living and many other Good things about Life , of which one of this is .. HARMONY .

Some would presume Shiro Utsuri / Showa Pond having a different water parameter compared to one that houses Kohaku and Sanke , while some would presume metallic Kois should be keep in mythical clear clean cold water to enable the metallic varieties to shine . A true Nishikigoi Pond , is one that can hold all the Varieties of Nishikigoi at one place , any one time . If the thought of having "harder water " to promote Sumi , then I feel that this statement is way behind the genetic beliefs in Southern Japan . Okawa in Fakuoka , Sakai in Hiroshima , as well as Momotaro are all down South of Japan . The Shiro Utsuri of Okawa , Sanke and Showa of both Sakai and Momotaro , are making statement of their own.

Chagois / Ogons and many other varieties , are all part of a Big Nishikigoi Family . They are the species of fishes , that can live Harmoniously . The term " Kawarimono" , is a simple illustration of a "Race or Variety issue" in this Nishikigoi family . Species or varieties are preferences, from one hobbyist to another , and there's never a actual thumb rule to specify or divide this Big Family . It only voice down to preference of each indiviual keeper . In a mixed variety pond , we actually get to see how graceful and harmoniously they thrive or strive together . Colors doesn't separate them from swimming together , but rather .. project the beautifully colored creatures living as One .

Here in Paul's Pond , It's my meter long Soragoi , named Bubble , that leads the feeding most of the time .

It is often , the Ogons/ Chagoi / Soragoi / Ochiba and Yamabuki - Gingrin or normal scale , that leads the school in many ponds . Monotone but Majestic , Fearless but Friendly and at the same time , they project Grace with Power . For years , my ponds can never thrive well without the presence of such "born leaders" . Doitsu and Scale Karashigoi is one variety that I love having in all my ponds too . They are Friendly and they sure grow fast . They do instigate growth while they grow . They're keeper's keep today in many Japanese Ponds. This single color yellow species can command a hefty price in the commercial Koi market today .
    Their Presence brings calm , and through these calm presence , they bring serenity among the school . With the Serenity , we find Solace in them .

Haven't we been promoting Religious and Racial Harmony ??. Have not we been promoting World Peace and Love ?? Have not we seek Righteousness and Equality among the Human Race ??? If we understand the rationale behind the true meaning of Nishikigoi , We will age and grow with Grace and Harmony .

David
    Tora Bora likes this.

Very well phrased Brother David. In our hustle and bustle daily lives we sometimes forget to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. It is also this haste daily life that makes us unbalanced and unfocused. Reading your response redirects my focus on what's important in life and to remind me of the very fact that this was one of the reasons why I enjoyed this hobby so much. There is definitely a calming and harmonious effect in nishikigoi and, if we are to promote world peace, then why not start by promoting that peace in our ponds?

I thank you again for the explanation and reminder of what this hobby is all about.

Bubble is one big submarine! 1 meter! That's almost 40 inches long! Some of the things I observed with your koi feeding is that there is a calming and harmonious presence about them as they feed. Unlike my pond during peak feeding time where they are thrashing water everywhere. Also, for the high pond turnover rate in Paul's pond I am surprised to not see the koi swim in one direction to stay with the current and to see the sinking pellets sink straight down. Watching the video of your pond definitely made my morning, so I thank you for that.

Your fish are amazingly calm during feeding Brother David. Your video almost put me into a trance this morning because the fish were so calm. What do you attribute the calmness to...the music? My fish are much more excited during feeding. Maybe I am not feeding them enough. Do you think they would like Rock-in-Roll, Pop, or Techno music?

Sunny

My Fish

Ok in this clip everyone but my old girl Spike is in it. The first section has the 3 fish I won in a recent club raffle. Yes we have talked about this, but I didn't know that their where fish in the raffle till just before the drawing. The two fish that need ID here are the German Scaled Gin Rin, you can't see it real well but the fish has two streaks of lt.blue where there is no scales. The other fish is Bekko like with some rust on her head and side.
    Little later in the video there is a shot with 4 fish, what is the dark kin rin one? Also the last part has a kin rin Chagoi, it looked male last year at the show, does it still look male?

YouTube - March 2011 observation.wmv

This is Spike she's not much to look at but she is my first Koi so the largest and eldest. If we did a ugly koi contest, who knows maybe she would take firt place ugly Showa.

YouTube - Just Spike the koi.wmv
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    Ok in this clip everyone but my old girl Spike is in it. The first section has the 3 fish I won in a recent club raffle. Yes we have talked about this, but I didn't know that their where fish in the raffle till just before the drawing. The two fish that need ID here are the German Scaled Gin Rin, you can't see it real well but the fish has two streaks of lt.blue where there is no scales. The other fish is Bekko like with some rust on her head and side.
    Little later in the video there is a shot with 4 fish, what is the dark kin rin one? Also the last part has a kin rin Chagoi, it looked male last year at the show, does it still look male?

YouTube - March 2011 observation.wmv

This is Spike she's not much to look at but she is my first Koi so the largest and eldest. If we did a ugly koi contest, who knows maybe she would take firt place ugly Showa.

YouTube - Just Spike the koi.wmv
    bighatbulls,

Very nice ochiba! Are you sure Spike is a Showa? She looks Sanke to me.

Sunny

Good day Brother Lam & Brother Sunny

While you can feel the calm manner of feeding here , did you observe how discipline these fishes are when they feed ??? You can go through all my past videos in this thread ... and I bet ... many had failed to observe one thing .... . Bodily contact !!!! Try looking at the video or videos again ... You will realised that the fishes try to avoid bodily contact among themselves ... even while feeding ...

This non physical contact , entail lots of body movement in this shallow pond . Study on that and the past videos I posted on this thread and others , and you will see some rationale on shallow pond here ...

Trust me , it takes lots of observation work to understand what's going on here ....

David

p.s - no fish like to be slap by another fish with the tail !! neither do they like someone banging into them while they eat !!! You will see lots of near misses !!!
    You may also go to page 8 , post 261 of this thread ... and count the number of bodily contact that you think you can spot when the pond was filled with 35 kois ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    bighatbulls,

Very nice ochiba! Are you sure Spike is a Showa? She looks Sanke to me.

Sunny
    Its hard to see but Spike does have a small patch of black on her head. I am very proud of my Ochiba. I call her Akiyama, and I hope that one day she will be a good example of an "Autumn Mountain."

Does anyone know what that one fish is in the section of video that show the 4 small fish in the bucket (the other 4 are Kohaku, Bekko, and Yamabuki)? Its dark with Kin Rin scales.

Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast