Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Let's See YOUR koi

Nisai
    Here we go - two of my favourites.

Momotaro Sanke - Sansai 64cm, Male

Matsue Kohaku - Sansai 67cm, Female

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Hi Brother Sunny

Feeding can be another enjoyment of slaving with our hobby . Here's another short video taken of another pond I have with feeding extending to the nite , which was posted recently in one of the thread discussion here ... . Happy Lunar New Year to All celebrating the Lunar Rabbit Year !!

David
    I recognized all the different varieties in your collection, except for one that's light color doitsu looking. It's the first koi that's on the bottom of the first video. Is that a midori or yamabuki ogon? What kind of food do you use? Why do you use sinking and not floating food? How many times do you feed them per day?

Sunny

Nisai
    my collection in garage pond. my 14k gal pond decided to leak the saturday before thanks giving so i built a 4k gal indoor pond/qt.

thanksgiving morning, chest waiders and all gathering koi to transfer to indoor tank.
    ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's See YOUR koi-iphone-pics-099.jpg   Let's See YOUR koi-iphone-pics-118.jpg   Let's See YOUR koi-iphone-pics-120.jpg   Let's See YOUR koi-iphone-pics-068.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi31 View Post
    Here we go - two of my favourites.

Momotaro Sanke - Sansai 64cm, Male

Matsue Kohaku - Sansai 67cm, Female
    Love the male sanke! The eyes of the two fish are so different. Can someone speak to that? Personnally, I preferred the eyes of the sanke.

Nisai
    Tosai Sunny,

Great spot. This is one of the things that we see on the koi and it is consistent. So leads me away from things such as environmental, Diet, diesease etc. (We have actually nicknamed the koi - DALEK - after the Doctor Who series)

There is a school of though that it is to do with some genetic traits in certain strains of Kohaku and a larger eye socket - but i do not know of this and could not possibly comment any further.

Be interested in some input though.....

Nisai
    Tosai Sunny,

Thanks for the comments on the koi.

Great spot. This is one of the things that we see on the koi and it is consistent. So leads me away from things such as environmental, Diet, diesease etc. (We have actually nicknamed the koi - DALEK - after the Doctor Who series)

There is a school of though that it is to do with some genetic traits in certain strains of Kohaku and a larger eye socket - but i do not know of this and could not possibly comment any further.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by koiboi31 View Post
    Tosai Sunny,

Thanks for the comments on the koi.

A few of my kois' eyes are like that; I thought maybe I am doing something wrong. It's good to know that genetics might be to blame and not me.

Brother Greg

While your preference for eye setting might be that of the Sanke , mind if I asked if this Sanke had been with you for long in your pond ?? and is sinking pallets part of your mix-feed ?

It can easily voice down to traits or genetically some were born with such eye setting , while some due to pond setting which can be corrective or even damaging to some that were beautifully setted before being introduced into your pond ... . I hope this do not confuse you , but I have to be sure on your feed given to your Kois ( sinking or floating or both ) before I would further comments on your Sanke set of eyes which looks way off-balance from your photo . One is flat ( left eyes ) and inline with the face contour , while one in protruded ( right ) and honestly , this can be corrected if it's due to your feeding regime or pond setting , and not infection.. .

My days with Show Arowana had taught me many things about eye setting in fishes , including kois !!!

David

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    This is my wife's sanke. My Kohaku....and Showa. The Gin rin Matsukawabake is my biggest and oldest pond resident, have an awesome
    red eyed kigoi but no picture. have about four more aka nisei to get yet from Purdin koi farm this spring. still want an asagi.
    Hi Dick,

Nice fish! Are any those fish your own home-grown koi? What did you get from Purdin? Any pictures to share? I was there a few weeks ago with our club. The visit was organized by Ray Jordan of San Antonio. I have to say that I was very impressed with their facility and the quality of koi that they are producing. I really like their sanke. What I saw there, I think JR's dollar is in danger!

Regretfully, while I was there, I was not able to purchase anything because it was too late in the season for me to quarantine fish. I do not have heated quarantine tank to house them. However, I would like to go back in the Spring during their culling hoping to learn something and possibly pick out some sankes. The drive Dallas is only 6.5 hours away. When are you planning to be there?

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Brother Greg
    While your preference for eye setting might be that of the Sanke , mind if I asked if this Sanke had been with you for long in your pond ?? and is sinking pallets part of your mix-feed ?
    Brother David,

The koi has been with me since July 2009 (as tosai) through to now as Sansai.

My feed is 95% floating pellet and the remainder is paste food which i might feed in summer (above 20deg C) for maybe one feed a week. Due to my small pond size (3000 UK gallons) i need to watch i don't feed to heavy and make the koi's fat.

Below is a sequence of shots showing the koi's progress over the time i ahve owned it. Please forgive my poor photgraphy skills.

Tosai - 39cm (July 2009)

22-11-09 (51cm)

Jan 2010 (54cm)

June 2010 (60cm)

Dec 2010 (64cm)

Be interested to hear your thoughts and the way you feel feeding regimes and pond conditions affect such things.

Page 4 of 102 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast