Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Contenders All Japan Show

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
    You and me both. The first time I went to rent one myself I had to confirm with them the rate they gave me was per day and not per hour.

But hey I was talking to a couple of guys in October who found out a dealer they used even classed Nomoles as fair game and put a mark up on all the food and drink consumed by their guests.
    too much, priceless--- wait, even 'priceless' in Japan comes at a price!!

Ok, enough of that, Very glad to have you as a resource Gibbo. Maybe we can get Steve C to join us! Now that would be a crew! Be in touch--- Jim

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Brilliant I nearly fell off my chair.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Maybe I just missed it

I'm writing a Article on the AJKS for my Local Club Newsletter. Can anyone tell me how many koi were benched this year? How many Show Tanks were used? Any Info on the Show would be great.

Thanks, Troy
    Troy

I believe it was 1370 Koi this year, down on last year.

I don't have details of vats this year at hand, my guess would be exactly the same as 2 years ago as there is little or no room for any more.

I've a picture of the show hall will vats all marked, need to dig it out and count up to be 100%, i think it appears on one of the videos i posted - Some video from day 1 at the 2011 All Japan Show | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com

Mark

Honmei

Ok, enough of that, Very glad to have you as a resource Gibbo. Maybe we can get Steve C to join us! Now that would be a crew! Be in touch--- Jim
    I long to get back to Japan and yes, the three of us would make for an "interesting trip." Shades of a night in Memphis with Gibbo comes to mind.
    While JR has had the pleasure of one child in college, I have 3. with two down and the last one costing me a fortune at every turn, I can't wait for that final commencement in aboutr 1.5 years. I think as a celabratory event that I will take Cheryl to Japan! I'd say that she could keep t6he three of us in line but odds are she would lead the pack to the party!
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Daihonmei
    I understand ! Cait, by the way, is heading for grad school and staying in right thru to her PhD so I feel your pain!!
    Bad news-- no Childer debates over a pint or two ( if a dump truck carries ammonia packets behind a wall will the koi be shaped like Bananas after a while"? ) . Good news, Japan is not going anywhere! plenty of time, just stay healthy and interested! JR

Honmei
    I understand ! Cait, by the way, is heading for grad school and staying in right thru to her PhD so I feel your pain!!
    Bad news-- no Childer debates over a pint or two ( if a dump truck carries ammonia packets behind a wall will the koi be shaped like Bananas after a while"? ) . Good news, Japan is not going anywhere! plenty of time, just stay healthy and interested! JR
    Well, maybe Gibbo should hop the pond next month for Orlando? I seem to recall a night there with Gibbo a few years back....kind of a precurser to the Memphis night I alluded to earlier.

Great news on Caitlin, bad news for your pocketbook! Jodi is planning on Law school so my pain will most likely continue as well
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Daihonmei
    Seriously though, western dealers in the past have worked hard to keep visitor buyers in the dark as it was then much easier to sell them bend fish, old fish or otherwise 'cast offs' which maximized the margins. The trouble is you can't keep customers forever using the 'mushroom method' ( the keeping of customer in the dark and the regular feeding of bovine excrement). The new westerners in Japan offer hope and a refreshing breeze of honesty. There is no reason why a dealer or guide can't make a good living and actually represent the customer. The old model said that a broker dealer had to make as much money as possible before the mark bored with the hobby and moved onto another hobby. That is a kind of cynical self fulfilling prophecy. You think it will be true, act accordingly and it becomes true. I'm all for slowing the slam, bam, thank you m'am. Instead I'd like to see the amateurs hobby experience extended and if it declines- let it decline naturally from old age or changing interests over a number of years. Long live the new generation of professionals. Take care of the customer and place their interests first, and the money will take care of itself- it will follow naturally. I run a quarter of a billion dollar small investment business and that philosophy has always served me well. No reason it can't work for the new generation of koi dealers. JR

Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    Troy

I believe it was 1370 Koi this year, down on last year.

I don't have details of vats this year at hand, my guess would be exactly the same as 2 years ago as there is little or no room for any more.

I've a picture of the show hall will vats all marked, need to dig it out and count up to be 100%, i think it appears on one of the videos i posted - Some video from day 1 at the 2011 All Japan Show | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com

Mark

Thanks Mark, This will help me with my Article.

Childers with a Pint or Two, what about after Breakfast ?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Thanks Mark, This will help me with my Article.

Childers with a Pint or Two, what about after Breakfast ?
    can you say mimosas? They make them In Japan you know! At breakfast in Japan you need to get your protein ( I recommend a breakfast in the Nagaoke Grand or The New Otani, as
    for the next ten hours you will be;

1) driving to fish ( no singing please, it's too early for such things!)
    2) looking at a lot of fish ( a real eye opener and college education in KOI UNIVERSITY).
    3) bowling a lot of fish! be Picky or the yen won't last!
    4) dealing over fish. Fish have no set price.
    5) buying fish.
    6) working out grow out. usually first year is covered in the price so don't let the dealer pocket it!
    7) drinking abnormal and irrational amounts of green tea. You drink, you pee, you seem at peace when not peeing.
    8) racing to the next 'event'. More great fish, and more tea!
    9) a few more locations where you will see different fish! But you likely will have few yen left and will groan with remorse at least once!
    10) and then take in some local color- mountain side, etc.
    11) and then look at more fish!
    12) and then remember the rule- NEVER look at kohaku after 4 pm!
    13) back to room for a shower
    14) then out to dinner for cocktails and dinner
    15) and Video watching of the day's treasures. Always lots of fun and lots of laughs amongst kindred spirits!
    16) and then to bed to start all over in the morning- after posting pictures on Bito and NI of course!
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Nogyosai , Rinyukai , Airinkai and Shinkokai are the 4 main shows in japan , with the first 3 shows having their designated venues normally outside Tokyo ,held in different months towards the end of the year . Nogyosai is the Breeder's Show , while Rinyukai and Airinkai ( ZNA ) are the Hobbyists' Show held or organised by their respective Club Members and their respective committee.

Shinkokai Show or namely All Japan Koi Show , often programmed as the last show of the Winter ( Beginning of the each new Calender year ) , organised by the Breeders Association of Japan , compromise mainly Hobbyists' Show fishes , which are mainly kept and refined by their representive Breeders .
    This is normally the show that can hit the highest climax and excitement among Hobbyists , as well as their representing dealers and Breeders .

Shinkokai Show is normally held in Tokyo , which would be the most convenient or ideal place for the Global Hobbyists to congregate . It's also often during this period , we see almost all the participating breeders from Niigata as well as Breeders from the Southern Perfectures of Japan , like Sakai FF and Momotaro Koi Farm , Okawa ... etc .. etc . Where , when could be a better place and time , to meet up with these breeders and have a live discussion with them during show visit ??? All can be arranged .

The main agenda here , and the utmost importance of this Global Hobbyists meet , is to enable global hobbyists to meet-up and know one another better , besides learing about Nishikigoi . Motto of ZNA , Friendship Through Scales ..... isn't this is what the spirit of Nishikigoi is all about ???

Brother Gibbo , to arrange a seminar a week after the AJKS with the breeders , would mean an extended stay in Japan . This is reason why the respond is minimal . AJKS starts Benching as early as Thursday morning , and the Judging takes place normally on a Friday morning and only after completion of Judging , the Exhibition Hall would then be opened up , but it would be close to closing time by then .... . This makes Saturday , a full day of viewing and appreciation . Most of the Breeders will be in the Hall during Saturday . Sunday would be a de-benching day which breeders and their handlers will be busy packing their show-fishes to be transported back to their own farms .

Thus Saturday of the AJKS , would be an ideal day for all to congregate and discuss Nishikigoi , while appreciating and understanding what we see in the vats . We can organise all the respective Breeders to be around and do some face to face discussion on this full day . Trust me , it can be arranged ... . Nothing compare to a face to face or open discussion with the breeders in the Exhibition Hall . This will enable the breeders to open up even more ... There will be no secrets in Koi Keeping here ...

Any further arrangement thereafter could always be arranged among some of the visiting hobbyists that could extend their stay in Japan . Never an issue , though I must say that the group would be broken into smaller cell groups .. , as each hobbyists would prefer to choose which farm they would want to visit .. and all these farms are spread all over Japan ...

All these are merely suggestions , and if the WORLD HOBBYISTS is ready , there will be lots of detail arrangement to discuss ... Brother mark will always be there for many , so will be Brother Brian Souza and many others for the Global Hobbyists .... Trust me , this will be the Visit of a Lifetime ..

Brother Gerwin , you're the spirit !!!! You drove the adrenaline in me ....
    This Global Hobbyists Meet can even change the whole atmosphere and idea of AJKS . Sounds crazy , but trust me , I envisage this to be the most educational Koi trip anyone can ever have . It's not only about learning qualities of Kois here , but the basic understanding of the spirit of Nishikigoi lovers and the congregation of koi souls !!!! It's a different level of Koi Keeping when Global communities become ONE .

David

P.S - While the Husbands are busy with Koi Appreciation , the Wives can do their shopping and sight seeing in Tokyo !!!!

Brother David, have any formal seminars with the breeders been set yet for the 2012 AJKS? Reason being, I plan to attend the 2012 AJKS and would love to sign up to attend any koi discussion with breeders. Appreciate any insight you could share on this matter.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213