Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New bakki shower

Excellent!

Why didn't you have a set of stainless steel trays made instead?

Very nice job! I was just talking to a friend today concerning a DIY Shower for his QT. Any reason you chose PVC over Acrylic?

Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Why didn't you have a set of stainless steel trays made instead?
    When I first used the pre-made PVC containers it was due to the cost. Stainless steel containers cost $1200 versus the $200 the PVC trays. Even using the 1/4 inch PVC sheet, it was still much cheaper than having stainless steel containers built. It would have been much more difficult to build the sieve using a stainless steel container.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma Koi View Post
    Any reason you chose PVC over Acrylic?
    I did not want clear containers. Acrylic is a good bit more expensive than PVC sheet and to my knowledge cannot be welded, it must be glued which I do not think would be as strong as the PVC weld.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Henry, Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to walk us thru your revisions.

PLEASE put the solar fan in and get that going. I was shocked during my trickle tower days the difference it made when I did the same. I can only believe that it will make a similar difference on bakki.

I have trickle towers in my setup. Maybe I need to convert it to bakki shower as well. What is the difference between trickle tower and bakki shower?

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    I have trickle towers in my setup. Maybe I need to convert it a bakki shower as well. What is the difference between trickle tower and bakki shower?
    Just the over priced bakki media

Looking great, Henry. You had not used the copper paint when I saw it. That makes it look good, as well as having a function. The workmanship is outstanding, which is always true of what you do.

For the folks on the board who do not know who Zac Penn is, I think you'll be hearing more about him. He has posted here a few times about air-lifts and on some other boards. He lives in the Jacksonville area and has developed some inventive products for use with ponds. His low-head shower filter has gotten interest from those who have seen it. He has more on the way. He recently partnered up with some folks with a bit of capital, so a true product line with distribution just may be around the corner. Those coming to the Central Florida Koi Show can check it out. He has a booth in the show tent vendor area as Deepwater Koi Innovations. A few years ago, CFKS was the venue selected by a Taiwan company to introduce its filters to the U.S. market. You now see their Litek ads in KoiUSA and they are building a distributor network around the country. I am hoping Zac will have as much success and that CFKS can be his kick-off.

Daihonmei
    That media IS expensive! It works fine and is FAR better than other less expensive media like lava rock and featehr rock-- But I think that is down to things like SHAPE and how the individual pieces set up and mesh against one another.
    I've never noticed the Bacteria house get blue green slime algae over it's surface-- yet I see it on lava rock quite often? So there must be some difference on the micro level that either encourages biofouling or mineral retention.
    I'm a big 'Plastics' guy but I also recognize it's short commings ( all media has pluses and minuses).
    In the end, I still like plastic for my towers and Jmat for submerged applications. Old fashioned I guess?
    I do keep a stack of bacteria House running but I use it now for base material in building up some of my reef structures in the marine tanks. The fish LOVE it as it forms natural caves and nooks for quick darking and night time security. I'm now playing around with it's value as 'live rock' for transfer from main tanks to quarantine systems when I buy new fish. The pieces are kept in sumps below the main 180 gallon and tranferred the night before I go 'shopping'. After the quarantine I transfer the media to a freshwater bucket for a few weeks and then back into the sump for future use. Who would have 'thunk'! JR

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    When I first used the pre-made PVC containers it was due to the cost. Stainless steel containers cost $1200 versus the $200 the PVC trays. Even using the 1/4 inch PVC sheet, it was still much cheaper than having stainless steel containers built. It would have been much more difficult to build the sieve using a stainless steel container.
    I spent $180 for ALL the medical grade stainless I used on mine. It's not anywhere near as fancy as yours though

Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Daihonmei
    looks very functional! Something about thinning water out into sheets for degassing and reoxygenation really suggests 'good water'!

Not to mention that if things are getting a little too ripe in a closed system, the TT exposes DOCs and says Time for a water change... a dropping ORP, a rising TDS and DOCs being produced in excess by the TT--- all say, time for a water change! JR

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast