Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New bakki shower

I really would like to know what the most important function or functions of these towers are. Break down fish feces, supply O, filter the water, move water and so on. The reason I ask is for human septic systems, anaerobic bacteria is the machine. O will kill this bacteria so tank must be sealed to work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    I did not want clear containers. Acrylic is a good bit more expensive than PVC sheet and to my knowledge cannot be welded, it must be glued which I do not think would be as strong as the PVC weld.
    I don't have any experience with the strength of acrylic welding to complare with PVC, but have priced clear and colored acrylic and it seems comparable here to PVC. Someone with experience building sumps for saltwater may have a better perpective on acrylic weld strength than I.

Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    I really would like to know what the most important function or functions of these towers are. Break down fish feces, supply O, filter the water, move water and so on. The reason I ask is for human septic systems, anaerobic bacteria is the machine. O will kill this bacteria so tank must be sealed to work properly.
    A bit of a misnomer there Gary.
    While it is true that "some" wastewater treatment systems rely on anaerobic digestion, many are aerobic systems instead. It is all a matter of form. The anaerobic systems are "nitrifers" that tend to produce large quantities of methane and noxious (sour) gases as a byproduct while the aerobic systems are virtually odorless and heavily aerated.
    Some utilize both at different stages of the process, but they must be carefully managed to prevent the gases from reaching an "explosive mixture" in process. That can get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    A bit of a misnomer there Gary.
    While it is true that "some" wastewater treatment systems rely on anaerobic digestion, many are aerobic systems instead. It is all a matter of form. The anaerobic systems are "nitrifers" that tend to produce large quantities of methane and noxious (sour) gases as a byproduct while the aerobic systems are virtually odorless and heavily aerated.
    Some utilize both at different stages of the process, but they must be carefully managed to prevent the gases from reaching an "explosive mixture" in process. That can get ugly.
    I believe you mean "de-nitrifiers".....

Quote Originally Posted by Scrmnkg View Post
    I believe you mean "de-nitrifiers".....
    Yup. Good catch

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    Below is my final design drawing (I got several tips from Zac Penn which lead to some changes the design).
    You had a pretty good game plan when you came to me, so I don't deserve much credit. I just saw a few places that could use some improvement and offered suggestions.

It looks like you picked up plastic welding pretty quick. The whole unit looks very nice, and well constructed. It will be interesting to see if you experience any water quality changes when you add the air blower.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    For the folks on the board who do not know who Zac Penn is, I think you'll be hearing more about him. He has posted here a few times about air-lifts and on some other boards. He lives in the Jacksonville area and has developed some inventive products for use with ponds. His low-head shower filter has gotten interest from those who have seen it. He has more on the way. He recently partnered up with some folks with a bit of capital, so a true product line with distribution just may be around the corner. Those coming to the Central Florida Koi Show can check it out. He has a booth in the show tent vendor area as Deepwater Koi Innovations. A few years ago, CFKS was the venue selected by a Taiwan company to introduce its filters to the U.S. market. You now see their Litek ads in KoiUSA and they are building a distributor network around the country. I am hoping Zac will have as much success and that CFKS can be his kick-off.
    Thanks for the brief introduction Mike. I assume this is Michael Mcmahon? I am very excited to reveal some of my new designs at the CFKS and hope to meet and make a lot of new koi friends. We will have a variety of filters to suit different pond applications on display, so be sure to stop by and say hello.

Zac

Henry in the pit. Mike looks on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bakki shower-picture-001.jpg   New bakki shower-picture-002.jpg  

Hi Zac. Glad to see you made it over here!

Raymond.

???

Most important to me is bio-filtration.

Secondary is oxygenating the water.

A pump impeller is good for moving water and breaking down fish feces.

Honmei
    KK, you may be a tad confused concerning the bolded section. There are both anaerobic and aerobic septic systems. The thing is that aerobic septic systems are 20 to 30 times more efficient in consuming waste. Run a search to verify. Here is but one of many links:

Aerobic Septic System | Anaerobic Septic System : Aero-Stream.com
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast