Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New bakki shower

New bakki shower

Back in 2005, I built my first bakki shower. Instead the expensive stainless steel trays, I used plastic trays from US Plastics (a lot of other people have since used them). Over time, those trays start to get brittle and require replacement. I replaced them in the summer of 2007 due to them starting the crack (partially due to improper support).This time I decided to build my own trays using thicker PVC sheet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bakki shower-bakki_shower_old.jpg  

Another issue I have had with my bakki shower is the algae glarf (MikeM’s term) that the Koi pick off the walls. The first few years the shower kept very clean. But now that the pond is mature and has a thick layer of wall algae, the Koi spend the day picking it off. It is pulled into the mid-level pick-up that feeds the shower and is deposited on the bakki media. Breaking down the shower to remove the buildup is a royal pain in the a$$. I cannot use a normal sieve filter because the supply pipe is only 2 inches. So part of the rebuild includes a sieve at the top of the shower. Below is my final design drawing (I got several tips from Zac Penn which lead to some changes the design). The water enters via the 2 inch inlet. The water flows up through a maze and spills over onto the wedge wire. The wedge wire allows the water to flow through while pushing solids down the wedge wire into the catch bin. At one end of the catch bin is a waste line that is normally sealed by a stand pipe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bakki shower-shower-sieve.jpg  
    Henry

Orlando, FL

I built the trays and sieve container using ¼ inch thick PVC sheet. I used a Leister Triac S to do the PVC welding. This provides a very strong weld. After a few practice welds I had the hang of it. I wanted to provide more support than just the side walls sitting on top of each other, so I welded a 1/2 inch square rod at the top of each tray. It is positioned ¼ below the top because I also put a strip of ¼ inch PVC on the bottom of each tray so they would “lock” in place. That ¼ inch strip sits on top of the ½ inch support when a tray is put on top of another. I also welded some supports inside each tray. Those full height supports prevent the sides from bulging out and also provide support for the bottom of the tray above it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bakki shower-support-ledge.jpg   New bakki shower-locking-tray.jpg   New bakki shower-bakki-tray.jpg  

Zac Penn was nice enough to sell me some of his wedge wire stock so I only had to buy exactly what I needed (wedge wire of quality Zac uses is not cheap). I used 2 separate pieces of wedge wire as that matched how Zac was cutting his wedge wire for his own filters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bakki shower-bakki-sieve.jpg   New bakki shower-bakki-sieve-2.jpg   New bakki shower-stand-pipe.jpg  

One reason the old trays would get brittle was because the PVC used is not UV stabilized. So I decided to paint my new containers to protect them from UV rays. I tried several types of spray paint I had on hand and found the copper metallic paint made the best bond and was more durable than others. So I now have a copper bakki shower. The best benefit of the copper paint is that is reflects the FIR back into the shower. No more escaping FIR

It took longer to install than I thought it would because the bakki media was covered with algae glarf. I had to rinse off each piece prior to putting it into the new trays. The end result seems to be working fairly well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bakki shower-first-tray.jpg   New bakki shower-copper-bakki.jpg   New bakki shower-water-flow.jpg  

Henry, any separation between trays for air flow?

Looks very nice. I think soon I will have to redo mine.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Henry, any separation between trays for air flow?
    No, the old trays did not have any separation either. The next project I am considering is a solar powered fan to force air into the bottom tray (which would then flow up and out the top). I put a solar powered fan in our pergola for my wife's orchids. A smaller version may do the trick but I think there is plenty of O2 available (considerably more than submerged media).

Quote Originally Posted by HenryC View Post
    No, the old trays did not have any separation either. The next project I am considering is a solar powered fan to force air into the bottom tray (which would then flow up and out the top). I put a solar powered fan in our pergola for my wife's orchids. A smaller version may do the trick but I think there is plenty of O2 available (considerably more than submerged media).

It's OK not to have airflow but so nice to degass at the same time. BTW I just send entry for the show..........looking forward to it.

Henry, Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to walk us thru your revisions.

PLEASE put the solar fan in and get that going. I was shocked during my trickle tower days the difference it made when I did the same. I can only believe that it will make a similar difference on bakki.

Daihonmei
    very cool. Love the quality of the construction. JR

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast