Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic Nitrogen

Organic Nitrogen

I recently got interested in my septic tanks. Like so many things as long as it works who cares. Well I dug up the tanks and opened up a new world. Those of you with city sewer are missing out on a classic biochemical environment. First of all the bacteria that allows this organic Nitrogen to break down is anaerobic. Well I thought it ate it all up. Biomass degrades to zero mass well I was wrong. The denitrifying bacteria go #2 as well leaving behind peat looking stuff that settles to the bottom.
    The point is and I will get to the fish part, all these reactions require different environments and are carried out in separate areas. Will do the bio falls next and its love of organic nitrogen.

Oyagoi
    That is why septic tanks are suppose to be pumped out every so often.for what does not "disappear"

kind of like pond filters need cleaning

septic tanks can be anaerobic or aerobic depends what system you have or want

kind of like a pond or even fish tank

Could I change to an aerobic system?
    Aerobic bacteria work (eat) much faster 30 times more efficient, digests 70-80% of organics.
    Oxygen or air must be injected.
    Provides a higher quality wastewater treatment.

Fixed Film System
    Porous medium provides a bed to support the biomass film (aerobic bacteria) that digests the waste material (organic nitrogen). Biomass must be exposed to both wastewater and air.

Continuous Flow Suspended Growth System
    No bed for bacterial film, system relies on bacteria suspended in wastewater. A medium to promote fixed film bacteria growth may be added.

Organic Nitrogen can be dead cells, proteins, amino acids and urea

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Could I change to an aerobic system?
    Aerobic bacteria work (eat) much faster 30 times more efficient, digests 70-80% of organics.
    Oxygen or air must be injected.
    Provides a higher quality wastewater treatment.

Fixed Film System
    Porous medium provides a bed to support the biomass film (aerobic bacteria) that digests the waste material (organic nitrogen). Biomass must be exposed to both wastewater and air.

Continuous Flow Suspended Growth System
    No bed for bacterial film, system relies on bacteria suspended in wastewater. A medium to promote fixed film bacteria growth may be added.

Organic Nitrogen can be dead cells, proteins, amino acids and urea
    In answer to your bolded question above, if you look at my response to your post on the Bakki Shower thread (below) about this subject, I provided a link that covers how septic systems can be converted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingkong
    I really would like to know what the most important function or functions of these towers are. Break down fish feces, supply O, filter the water, move water and so on. The reason I ask is for human septic systems, anaerobic bacteria is the machine. O will kill this bacteria so tank must be sealed to work properly.

KK, you may be a tad confused concerning the bolded section. There are both anaerobic and aerobic septic systems. The thing is that aerobic septic systems are 20 to 30 times more efficient in consuming waste. Run a search to verify. Here is but one of many links:

Aerobic Septic System | Anaerobic Septic System : Aero-Stream.com

Warning..you are attempting to converse with the King of septic tanks. Continue at your own risk.

Honmei
    Warning..you are attempting to converse with the King of septic tanks. Continue at your own risk.
    Well, I am NOT the king of septic tanks but did realize that your original statement in the Bakki Shower thread was wrong/misleading and thus offered the clarification. Then, sometime later you start this thread with the revised "knowledge"/contradictory statement that was now inline with what I posted on the other thread. You also had a question about conversion to which I simply reposted the link that covers the conversion process for you. Perhaps it was a rheotorical question? I don't know, but in any event, confusing coming from the "King" of septic systems.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

There are no aerobic tanks in these parts my man but when I got educated by a real septic tank profesional I thought it interesting that all these years denitrification has been taking place in a giant biochemical tank in my back yard.
    Also I thought it interesting to compare this process with a typical fish pond filter. Nothing less, nothing more. So we understand now that these bacteria populations reactions require different environments and why.

There are no aerobic tanks in these parts my man but when I got educated by a real septic tank profesional I thought it interesting that all these years denitrification has been taking place in a giant biochemical tank in my back yard.
    Also I thought it interesting to compare this process with a typical fish pond filter. Nothing less, nothing more. So we understand now that these bacteria populations reactions require different environments and why.
    I don't know why aerobic systems wouldn't be available in your locale. Rural areas that can't pass a standard perk test for a regular septic system have been using them for years as a substitute for lagoons, so you might want to look a little harder

As to the sudden realization ..."that these bacteria populations reactions require different environments and why", I'm pretty sure 99% of us knew that a very long time ago. Not sure how you missed it.

I have an aerobic septic system. It has worked (mostly) fine for 20 years (Clearstream). I have to replace the air pump every 6 years or so (get a quiet linear one). And when I did this a year ago I also added in some large airstones from AES. The tank is much smaller than a comparable anaerobic tank. It is a tank within a tank, the outer one being bubbled mess the inner cone separates the processed water. I live in Florida, things are flat, the water table is high, but I don’t have the big septic field hump in my front yard that many do. The effluent is clear odorless water. Experience has shown me that it is critical to keep the air flowing.

There is a well established design for an anaerobic (Novak’s anoxic) filtration stage in koi ponds. Whether is does what it says, or if it does that it is better than the more usual path to Nitrogen removal of repeated dilution of the nitrates, is an endless and acrimonious debate.

Honmei
    Hmmmm KK, for the "King of Septic Tanks" may I suggest you re-evaluate your statement bolded? Your profile says Miami and here is a link to an aerobic septic company in Miami. By the looks of it, Aerobic septic systems seem popular in Florida.

http://www.hootsystems.com/dealers/I...installers.pdf

I had one of the "Hoot" aerobic systems installed on our new home in Dallas.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast