Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Planning a trip next year to Japan.

Planning a trip next year to Japan.

Next year I hope to travel to Japan for maybe 1 1/2 weeks on my way to the Philippines. One of the stops I was hoping to make besides ALL JAPAN KOI SHOW SHINKOKAI, is ADA Gallery Niigata...Has anyone stop by there while shopping for koi?

Nisai
    I've never been there before but it looks like an interesting place so I may take a drive up there when I return at the beginning of April

Looking at the website if you were planning to visit the Niigata area it is a straight forward enough place to get to

Quote Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
    I've never been there before but it looks like an interesting place so I may take a drive up there when I return at the beginning of April

Looking at the website if you were planning to visit the Niigata area it is a straight forward enough place to get to

Cool, thanks for the info...let me know what you think of the place.

Tony, I never knew you're into aquascaping too. Ive always wanted to visit Amano's place in Niigata.

I have been interested in that hobby but not really got the balls to dive in....hahahahaha...When I go next year I would like to checkout other things while visiting Niigata....Probably do a half/half trip, a couple of days in Niigata and a couple in Southern Japan...I also want to checkout some Ranchu Breeders if time permits.

Found this clip, looks like a cool place....

The Amano-style plant tanks in the video exhibit the Japanese sensibilities we were discussing on JR's thread about ponds and zen concepts. (Although some do shade into a more Western concept.)

I am amazed by the Amano-style tanks. Like bonsai, however, they require continuous attention to detail. It is telling to compare them to the so-called Dutch plant tanks, where everything is regimented. It's like the difference between a Japanese garden structured around Black Pine, and a sea of Dutch bulbs blooming in pre-planned patterns.

I gave up on the Amano-style tanks some years ago, simply because I would not devote the time necessary. So, I've gone the route of an over-abundance with a jungly lack of control. The wildness pleases me, and is not unlike my gardening style, but it does not draw the viewer into an underwater world the way the Amano-style does.

Daihonmei
    Tony, I can tell you , it's a shocking amount of work to an Amano looking pristine! Much more than keeping a reef looking pristine. Just the 'never-ending' pruning alone reminds me of my bonsai collection and the reason that all my bonsai have been 'set free' into the ground of my Japanese moss garden. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Tony, I can tell you , it's a shocking amount of work to an Amano looking pristine! Much more than keeping a reef looking pristine. Just the 'never-ending' pruning alone reminds me of my bonsai collection and the reason that all my bonsai have been 'set free' into the ground of my Japanese moss garden. JR
    I can only imagine how much work goes into hobbys as aquascape tanks and bonsai, but appreciate those who share it with others. I think it would be a cool thing to checkout on a break from buying koi.