Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Need referral for protein skimmer installation - Tampa Bay area

Need referral for protein skimmer installation - Tampa Bay area

I am considering adding a protein skimmer to my pond of about 1600 gallons. It currently has a Hayward containing straw type filter media as the only means of filtration. I do regular filter flushing and water changes. It has 13 fish up to 15 inches. Sounds over-crowded and under-filtered doesn't it? The fish are healthy and the water clear, but I think I need to improve things.

Anyway, can anyone refer me to a local person / operation in the Tampa Bay, Florida area? (I'm actually in Palm Harbor.) I have read up on self-built systems (I've found lots of great info right here), but I'd prefer to hire someone, with experience, to do it for me. I'm pretty inexperienced in all of this, but man do I enjoy this hobby. (I liked the guy who built the pond, but he seemed pretty set in his ways regarding Haywards as the only necessary means of filtration. And besides he's moved on.)

Thanks for your help.

for a pond of that size, you could get by with a 4" version of my non-patented "Phoam Phraxionator"....pretty inexpensive.

Thanks Ethan!

Charlie looks like a great animal. My daughter had one that was lost to the damn heat in Mississippi. Myrtle was the best pet we ever had. She came from Alabama. Ethan will put you on the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie is sleeping View Post
    I am considering adding a protein skimmer to my pond of about 1600 gallons. It currently has a Hayward containing straw type filter media as the only means of filtration. I do regular filter flushing and water changes. It has 13 fish up to 15 inches. Sounds over-crowded and under-filtered doesn't it? The fish are healthy and the water clear, but I think I need to improve things.

Anyway, can anyone refer me to a local person / operation in the Tampa Bay, Florida area? (I'm actually in Palm Harbor.) I have read up on self-built systems (I've found lots of great info right here), but I'd prefer to hire someone, with experience, to do it for me. I'm pretty inexperienced in all of this, but man do I enjoy this hobby. (I liked the guy who built the pond, but he seemed pretty set in his ways regarding Haywards as the only necessary means of filtration. And besides he's moved on.)

Thanks for your help.
    Best bet is to contact members of a local Koi club in your area.

Here is a start: Tampa Bay Koi and Water Garden Club.

For other clubs: AKCA Clubs.