Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need pond placement ideas

I need pond placement ideas

I can't think out of the box so I need suggestions.

I want to put the pond at the back of the deck. There is only 19' between the deck and dog yard. I can move the wire back about 5' in the area of the pond if I have to.

The deck is 20' wide. The pond will be 12x20x8'. If I have a filter bay run the length of the pond, 4' wide, it puts the pond/filter in front of the garage door. I'm planning on a large settling chamber, a large moving bed, sand/gravel filter and shower.

If I move the steps on to the other side of the deck, I can put the filtration down the side of the house making the pond/filter into an "L" shape but it would have to sit at least 5' from the house because of underground wires.

My actual design that I have in my head is to have the filtration come off one of the corners of the pond but there isn't enough room to do that.

As long as the pond is rectangular and 12x20 to 15x25, I'm open for suggestions on what to do with the filtration. And no, I don't want it 100' feet away behind the garage! It would slow the water down too much.:terrified:

The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

I vote for the side of the house or under the deck.

relocated the dog yard to the side of the house. You really need back yard for your pond, filter space. Do ya really want to look out your patio door to a nice view of your pond only for it to spoil look cause of dog fence. Its all about balance of your surroundings. Good luck.

Dan, the dog yard isn't forever. It was put up for our sons' dogs. He was out of state in school. As soon as he gets settled somewhere, he's taking the dogs and the dog yard is coming down. The horse fence is behind that so it's far enough away to not cause a problem.

I'd love to put it under the deck but there are brick footings under there holding up the deck. The filter bay needs to be as long as the pond and about 4' wide so it won't fit.

Hi Sandy,
    Your deck and french doors at the rear of the house beg for placement as close to the deck as possible. I would alter the pond dimensions to no more than 10 feet in width especially with a 8 ft. depth. This will make netting your koi when necessary fairly easy to accomplish without using a seign net. At the same time I would increase the pond lenght to 24-25 ft. The relationship of lenght being about 2.5 times the width will provide a more pleasing geometry to the pond and also allow the koi to exercise a bit more swimming a longer lenght dimension.

For reccomendations on filter placement please explain your filtration system.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

My vote would be for along the side of the house if that space is available. With proper pipe and pump sizing you can overcome any distance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I can't think out of the box so I need suggestions.
    I want to put the pond at the back of the deck. There is only 19' between the deck and dog yard. I can move the wire back about 5' in the area of the pond if I have to.
    The deck is 20' wide. The pond will be 12x20x8'. If I have a filter bay run the length of the pond, 4' wide, it puts the pond/filter in front of the garage door. I'm planning on a large settling chamber, a large moving bed, sand/gravel filter and shower.
    If I move the steps on to the other side of the deck, I can put the filtration down the side of the house making the pond/filter into an "L" shape but it would have to sit at least 5' from the house because of underground wires.
    My actual design that I have in my head is to have the filtration come off one of the corners of the pond but there isn't enough room to do that.
    As long as the pond is rectangular and 12x20 to 15x25, I'm open for suggestions on what to do with the filtration. And no, I don't want it 100' feet away behind the garage! It would slow the water down too much.:terrified:
    Why does the filter bay have to run the length of the pond?

Can it be at the end of the pond?

I agree with Ray's recommendations.

I was trying to keep the length of the pond the same as the deck. I'm afraid it will look out of place if it's longer than the deck. Originally, I planned on 15x30 but there just isn't enough room. Anything going past the end of the deck will be visible from the street.

I plan on having a large settling chamber to a moving bed to a sand/gravel filter to a shower. Ray, basically set up like Purdin's but without the mat. I don't want to have to clean mats so I'm going to use the moving bed instead.

The filtration doesn't have to run alongside the pond, it would just cut down on materials and have less head loss.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I was trying to keep the length of the pond the same as the deck. I'm afraid it will look out of place if it's longer than the deck. Originally, I planned on 15x30 but there just isn't enough room. Anything going past the end of the deck will be visible from the street.
    I plan on having a large settling chamber to a moving bed to a sand/gravel filter to a shower. Ray, basically set up like Purdin's but without the mat. I don't want to have to clean mats so I'm going to use the moving bed instead.
    The filtration doesn't have to run alongside the pond, it would just cut down on materials and have less head loss.
    Could the pond be 10' x 24', from the stairs on the left to the end of the deck on the right?

And put the filtration on the right end (visible from the street, but could be hidden behind a screen).

That's an idea. I could plant Bamboo in front of it.

Someone else gave me an idea to wrap the deck around the side of the house, over the filter chamber. That would look very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast