Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: tail issue

Nisai

tail issue

I just bought a little modest grade kujaku that appears to have an issue with his tail that my rookie eyes must have missed before he landed in my quarintine tank.

a small section (2 or 3 "spines") of the tail seem to have grown out and extra 1/4" ... maybe less. Is this indicitive of some other problem? will it correct itself? I'm guessing he wasn't kept in the best conditions lately. but he'll have a lot more space now provided he doesn't have something my other ones can catch.

sorry, no pictures at the moment - I'm out of town for work for a couple days and the wife isn't good with a net

This happens often, I see it with Pec. Fins more then I do with a Tail. A photo would be nice so we can see exactly what you have.

Some hobbyist would trim the area if they show koi, what you would do is your call.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    This happens often, I see it with Pec. Fins more then I do with a Tail. A photo would be nice so we can see exactly what you have.

Some hobbyist would trim the area if they show koi, what you would do is your call.
    this isn't a show koi by any stretch of the imagination. Just a nice little ki kujaku I found while wondering the pet stores of Madison (killing time). its not noticable from the top view, and I don't think its affecting his ability to swim or anything, mostly cosmetic.

is there a cause? like the wrong type of food or is it a genetic thing?

just curious mostly - and not about to let this little guy, pretty as he is, infect any of my other fish if its indictive of any disease ... but sounds like its not. thanks headache.

To make sure we are on the same page a Photo would be needed.

My guess at this point is it's a Genetic issue , not anything Food or Conditions had to do with.

It sounds like a genetic thing to me too. I think I'd trim it off, but not until summer when the water is nice and warm (koi heal best in the summer).

Nisai
    To make sure we are on the same page a Photo would be needed.

My guess at this point is it's a Genetic issue , not anything Food or Conditions had to do with.
    Thanks again.

sort of along the same lines, when you quarintine a fish do you do any "preventive" medicating ... say like an antibiotic or something? I don't notice any real blemishes health wise other than him being skinny and the tail thing. Just feed him and watch for issues? I put about a half dose of stress coat in the tank but that's it so far.

just a little jumpy on this one since he's not from the local guys I have purchased fish from in the past.

Don't add Meds for no reason. The best thing for this (all) koi is Good Quality , Filtered Water with regular water changes. Having it in a QT will allow you to keep a close eye in case something does show up.

Oyagoi
    Madison wisconsin?

not to far from me.
    south of Monroe on 26 into IL. is Freeport and then about another 12 miles in little town of Forreston where we are located.
    welcome to take a day trip down here some day.

Nisai
    Don't add Meds for no reason. The best thing for this (all) koi is Good Quality , Filtered Water with regular water changes. Having it in a QT we allow you to keep a close eye in case something does show up.
    10-4

(thanks)(3)

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    Madison wisconsin?

not to far from me.
    south of Monroe on 26 into IL. is Freeport and then about another 12 miles in little town of Forreston where we are located.
    welcome to take a day trip down here some day.
    I'm actually over in Iowa, but I travel to facilities across WI & IA for work. We have a plant in Beloit that I think would be pretty close to you. Actually had a ding-batty gf from Monroe during my college days, so Ive been there too