Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Koi Food?

My Fishes are fed with XXX Food , from Japan . These Sinking pallets are designed for summer feeding . Singapore in the tropical region , allows for such food to be fed throughout the whole year . Occasionally with paste food as "treats" if I would to prepare to bulk them up for Show .

Lots of dives and search .

David

As Dick said, there are a lot of good foods. I have used the EA foods and liked them. But, for some reason have not gotten any for a while. I use Hikari foods, Hi-Silk, sometimes Medi-Carp and several others. I use Hikari as the main ingredient when I put together a mix of pellets.

Food I have begun to avoid are ones that are especially oily to the touch. Many foods have the oil/fat content applied in the final stages of manufacture. This has the benefit of the the oil not being exposed to as much heat. However, within seconds of the pellet being placed in water, the oil is coming off and creates a sheen on the water surface. (Test it in a clear plastic cup and you'll see what I mean.) I figure this means the fish are not actually receiving the fat content shown on the label, but the pond water sure is. So, I prefer pellets that are more dry to the touch. Yes, these will also release some oil content into the water, but not so much.

Query: Don't you think the nutritional info on koi food should be after the food has floated in water for, say, 20 seconds?

...BTW, one of the reasons I rely on Hikari as the main food is because of the consistency of their product. I have had two fish food makers tell me that in their reverse analysis of competing brands, that they were amazed by the consistency of Hikari pellets and that the nutritional content was 'better' than the label. That is, when it says 'minimum' x% protein, it really means minimum, and the protein content is usually higher. This compares to most brands following regulations that allow testing of multiple samples, and then let 'minimum' refer to an average minimum, not an actual minimum. One food maker told me in private about their analysis, so I'll not say who it was. The other was Jasper K of EA at an AKCA seminar (Jacksonville, I think). ...EA was not promoting Hikari. They were doing comparisons of foods under certain conditions, with the results supporting the superiority of the EA food. But, he did state publically that no food analyzed was as consistent pellet to pellet, bag to bag, as Hikari.

I think I'll try some EA in my summer mix this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    As Dick said, there are a lot of good foods. I have used the EA foods and liked them. But, for some reason have not gotten any for a while. I use Hikari foods, Hi-Silk, sometimes Medi-Carp and several others. I use Hikari as the main ingredient when I put together a mix of pellets.

Food I have begun to avoid are ones that are especially oily to the touch. Many foods have the oil/fat content applied in the final stages of manufacture. This has the benefit of the the oil not being exposed to as much heat. However, within seconds of the pellet being placed in water, the oil is coming off and creates a sheen on the water surface. (Test it in a clear plastic cup and you'll see what I mean.) I figure this means the fish are not actually receiving the fat content shown on the label, but the pond water sure is. So, I prefer pellets that are more dry to the touch. Yes, these will also release some oil content into the water, but not so much.

Query: Don't you think the nutritional info on koi food should be after the food has floated in water for, say, 20 seconds?

...BTW, one of the reasons I rely on Hikari as the main food is because of the consistency of their product. I have had two fish food makers tell me that in their reverse analysis of competing brands, that they were amazed by the consistency of Hikari pellets and that the nutritional content was 'better' than the label. That is, when it says 'minimum' x% protein, it really means minimum, and the protein content is usually higher. This compares to most brands following regulations that allow testing of multiple samples, and then let 'minimum' refer to an average minimum, not an actual minimum. One food maker told me in private about their analysis, so I'll not say who it was. The other was Jasper K of EA at an AKCA seminar (Jacksonville, I think). ...EA was not promoting Hikari. They were doing comparisons of foods under certain conditions, with the results supporting the superiority of the EA food. But, he did state publically that no food analyzed was as consistent pellet to pellet, bag to bag, as Hikari.

I think I'll try some EA in my summer mix this year.
    Hi Brother Mike

Hikari has been in the market for Koi Food long enough and had been consistent in their supply for many years . Hikari has huge orders for Koi Pallets over the years , which is why , Hikari has to farm out some of their orders to some pallet producers all over now . Hikari provides the recipe , and the food producer produced them accordingly and ship the finish product in bulk to Hikari factory for re-packing , to be shipped out .

Most of the "coated" pallets , which we normally feel singledly dry , are those that are coated with starch , which will take awhile before they disintegrate in the water or in the fish tract . A little more expensive process but really help reduce the oil sheen issue if they're consumed fast enough . Similarly , some of the producers would argue , that the uncoated pallet would be easier to break down once taken ... again .. this all depend on how fast the pallets are taken by the fishes before they start to disintegrate in the water . I do agree , there's some of the food pallets in the market , not having the actual ingredients as what they had stated in the ingredient list as printed ....

David

Bumped up.

MCA
    Obviously there are no unbiased Consumer Reports on koi foods. So all of us are left with subjective opinions of other hobbists or our own experience. Personally I have had very good luck with Blackwater Creek Gold in the past. This year I decided to use only Saki Hikari wheatgern with added treats of fruit, silkworm pupae, and other goodies.

You will likely not go far wrong if you use a major well known brand. Just don't over feed the fish...or the filters.

"bump-ity-bump"

I know Matt from Nisei Koi Farm actually did a koi food experiment. Different brands to different ponds. I don't know the outcome though. Joyce?

I used Tomigai koi food this summer and will use it again this year. The results were amazing. I have a document of pictures of koi before and after feeding them Tomigai that I will try to post.

Daihonmei
    Lots a good food out there-- mostly Japanese brands. Hikari still makes a good solid food as a staple. But the question should not be " what is the best commerical brand", it should be what is the best diet for a koi. That is a more involved conversation than the consumer urge to buy what the majority think is the best brand. I can tell you that , that question changes with advertising, fads and introductions of the 'new and bestest' JR

what a positive, uplifting thing to discover.....JR is back on the boards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast