Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Koi Food?

Best Koi Food?

I have been hearing all about which is the best koi food for a while now and I'm really wondering what you guys think. I've heard hikari was the absolute best brand and all of their stuff works, then I heard blackwater creek gold food is the best for everything, then you get some people who get their food from japan. My goal for my fish is to have the nicest color and to have the best shape they can have. Does anybody have a great koi food recommendation? anyone really happy with the results of a certain food?

I want to hear all oppinions!

Thanks

This has been covered over and over.

While food is a very important factor in overall Koi health & development , it's only part. A certain food isn't going to turn a pond grade koi into a Champion. And a certain food isn't going to give a koi a killer frame without many other factors, mostly Genetics.

I used Blackwater Gold one summer, then not again.

You can't go wrong with Hikari.

I like Hi Silk 21 (From Japan).

I used a mix of Tomigai Koi Foods last year and will be using their products again this year.

Hope that helps and I look forward to others comments

Troy
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

Quote Originally Posted by KoiStory3 View Post
    I have been hearing all about which is the best koi food for a while now and I'm really wondering what you guys think. I've heard hikari was the absolute best brand and all of their stuff works, then I heard blackwater creek gold food is the best for everything, then you get some people who get their food from japan. My goal for my fish is to have the nicest color and to have the best shape they can have. Does anybody have a great koi food recommendation? anyone really happy with the results of a certain food?

Thanks
    What have you heard about EA koi food? Dainichi?

I use Hikari Wheatgerm in colder months and Hikari Gold in warmer months. Ther is some debate about the effectivenes of color enhancers but I do see a difference.

Fortunately for us we have plenty of choices. And for good reason as food can prepare koi for shows, get them thru winter, help youngsters to grow.
    So much depends on temperatures, Koi age and purpose for feeding.

To me it's like buying a name brand Koi without the ability to tell what potential it has to fulfill our dreams for purchase. ( pond or show fish)

So would rather have folks studying the ingredients list and protein % and matching up with their needs for the season.

I hear thru the grapevine that there may be some difficulty in getting EA foods from overseas.

I fed TomiGai last year and this winter and will use it again this summer. I like the quality and the fact that it's made in america. Not that i'm being snobbish but the born on date
    is a good idea and containers coming into this country with other foods from elsewhere can be held up for distribution for any number of reasons.

I like manda foo in the winter, I like High Silk sweet potatoe. I think saki-hikari is a good food. I've used kodama foods in the past and liked them.
    I know several "frugal gormets" who feed their koi Rangen and like it's basic quality and cost per pound.

A manufacturer can use the best ingredients and carefully get their product to market but if it's not stored properly when opened by the user,
    all the effort is wasted and can be noticed by the results. Keep food sealed, out of moisture and heat. Try and use up what's opened in 6 weeks or less. Buying big bags of food to drop the cost per pound is a good idea when it's repackaged into small bags with one of those machines that sucks the air out of the bags as it reseals. Club or koi kichii group buys are a good idea.

I know Scott and Bill at Purdin Koi farm use Hikari foods exclusively and have for years.
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    I use Hikari Wheatgerm in colder months and Hikari Gold in warmer months. Ther is some debate about the effectivenes of color enhancers but I do see a difference.
    That reminded me of an experience at a local Koi club meeting.

A lot of good information and a lot of misinformation can come from local Koi club members.

At a Koi club meeting a Koi club member gave a big testimonial and a very positive review of EA koi food, saying much of what the manufacture says in their advertisements.
    One of the key things she said was how much better and whiter the "whites" were on her Koi since she switched to EA koi food.

Being me, I had to ask what she was feeding her Koi before she switched to the EA koi food. The answer was a popular "color enhancing" Koi food.
    Many of the Koi club members did not know that color enhancing Koi food can affect the white on Koi.

I have used the EA products with great success. I havent heard anything about there being any problems getting the product but Bill at Mystickoi.com would know for sure.

This year I will be feeding TomiGai as my staple but as I always have I will be adding fresh foods to the mix like most people do including shrimp, watermelon and steamed asian sweet potatoes. If I really wanted to get into it I would look up some of my favorite koi keepers secret paste food ingredients.

As Troy stated though it isn't all about the food. So many other factors that are just as or more important then what you are feeding them (unless you are feeding them cat food or something). As an example you can feed them high growth super food thats $1000 a pound but if you have 50 koi in 500gallons then lets just say....you wasted your money on the food.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac July 2014

Blog Entries
    I feed these brand koi food.....

Sweet Potato
    Hi-Silk
    Hikari Wheatgrem

other than that I make my own koi paste.

anybody want to share their paste recipes? I tried to make paste feed, the first time it was brilliant and they loved it, (full of mussels and shrimp) then over the winter I lost the recipe and the second time I tried it dissolved before the koi ate it

[QUOTE=KoiStory3;180235]I have been hearing all about which is the best koi food for a while now and I'm really wondering what you guys think. I've heard hikari was the absolute best brand and all of their stuff works, then I heard blackwater creek gold food is the best for everything, then you get some people who get their food from japan. My goal for my fish is to have the nicest color and to have the best shape they can have. Does anybody have a great koi food recommendation? anyone really happy with the results of a certain food?

For me it is Zeigler which I and a lot of my friends used last year. It is the best value for money one of the largest manufacturers of fish food in the world that export around the world. A lot of the brands are made by Zeigler. Japanese food is expensive as most ingredients have to be imported then exported adding to cost. Besides I do my own importing which is now quite difficult to Canada and the people at Zeigler understand the export regulations for the whole world.
    My fish dine on the best at less than half cost
    If you go to the Orlando show they are usually there. Or look up Zeigler
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast