Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Prazi Pro and Potassium Permanganate

Oyagoi
    not heard much lately on minnfinn
    good or bad
    course spring is coming

Fry

Thumbs up Try 4 advice from Randall Brinker

I have try for caring koi fish based on Randall Brinker advice, How to finding out All About and Learning to Properly Care for Koi Fish.

Thanks Mr Randall

Daihonmei
    Forget that! Join the AKCA and ZNA. You will have multi layers of input and be at least as advanced ( I suspect more) than Mr Randel ( who ever that is??).
    If you become active in the koi world and especially if you take a day here and there to attend meetings and educational talks given by our clubs and chapters, you'll be fast tracked in your quest to learn about koi keeping. You'll also have the chance to interact and talk with beginners like yourself and also people with 5-10-20-30 years in the hobby!
    And you really can't learn koi appreciation from the internet. You need to experience koi appreciation and that is a hands on experience re-enforced by feedback at koi shows.
    Honestly if it were as easy as paying some stranger on the internet for a 'secret guide' and you were done--- well, then this hobby would be simple- but a baby koi and put it in the secret pond and then sell it as a 38 inch jumbo four years later. There are beginners who have this as a plan and will likely bit at this one stop solves all guide of Mr Randel or any other internet source. To that I say, " Good luck with that" ! JR

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    not heard much lately on minnfinn
    good or bad
    course spring is coming
    I don't know anything about the product that you mentioned. I googled it and found a link to another forum discussing about the product. I recognized a few people involved in the discussion are also regular posters here. It seems that with Minnfinn you must know exactly the gallonage of your pond. It is an oxidizer similar to PP. It can easily be overdosed and ruin your fish if you are not careful. A few people in that discussion reported that the treatment "push" their fish over with existing condition. However, they also reported that with Minnfinn treatment, the result can be obtained in 1 hour, which is much better than 7-10 days with prazi.

Sunny

Oyagoi
    Aw come on JR, did you go and check out the site? Only $14.77 to learn all you need to know, including "secret" stuff from koi breeders!

Think about how much time and effort, let alone $$$$ you could have saved.

Why there is a fine pond, at least 550 gallons with a gazebo AND A bridge, right there on the site! Looks to have some fine examples of Arkansas bekkos, you know the "rare" kind that cost big bucks on Ebay right there in the pond.

Heck, I was reaching for my pocketbook long before I got to the end, alas, I spent all my money paying beltway tolls last week so I couldn't afford the guide, yet.

Actually, why don't YOU spring for the secret guide and then tell the rest of us poor, broke, souls what's in it? Ya never know......

OK, I'd best go blow out the carport with the leaf blower before my wife gets home from work.
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
    Aw come on JR, did you go and check out the site? Only $14.77 to learn all you need to know, including "secret" stuff from koi breeders!

Think about how much time and effort, let alone $$$$ you could have saved.

Why there is a fine pond, at least 550 gallons with a gazebo AND A bridge, right there on the site! Looks to have some fine examples of Arkansas bekkos, you know the "rare" kind that cost big bucks on Ebay right there in the pond.

Heck, I was reaching for my pocketbook long before I got to the end, alas, I spent all my money paying beltway tolls last week so I couldn't afford the guide, yet.

Actually, why don't YOU spring for the secret guide and then tell the rest of us poor, broke, souls what's in it? Ya never know......

OK, I'd best go blow out the carport with the leaf blower before my wife gets home from work.
    That's funny Bret! You actually clicked on that link? I was afraid of contracting KHV on my computer if I did.

I would like to thank all who has replied to my cry for help here. After a month long battle against trichodinas and flukes, the nightmare is finally over. My koi lived to swim another day! Trichodinas were annihilated with a single treatment of potassium permanganate. Flukes, on the other hand, were much more difficult to kill. Initially, I started treating flukes with Prazi-pro(liquid). After 5 days of Prazi-Pro treatment, I discovered Trichodinas. So, I decided to stop Prazi-pro treatment and switched to PP to address Trichodinas. After the PP treatment, a second dose of Praziquantel(by Microbe-Lift) was administered for 10 days to try to kill flukes, but to no avail. The flukes were still laughing at me. By this time, my fish were looking very stressed, so I decided to switch to Supaverm, which is a much harsher treament than Praziquantel, but it worked instantly. Supaverm eradicated skin flukes in only 5 days. Praziquantel did not work for me. My friend in our Dallas Koi Kichi club has the same bad result with the same product treating fluke infestation in her pond.

Since I spent a good amount of $ on Praziquantel for nothing, I decided to write the company that marketed the product to complain about my negative experience with their version of Praziquantel. Their reply to me was that I did not mix it thoroughly enough. Although, I followed the exact instructions printed on the bottle. They told me to mix it with rubbing alcohol first then mix it with water. Has anybody successfully treated their pond by mixing Praziquantel with just water? A few of you said mixing it with Proform-C will get the best result. I may try that next time.

After using supaverm again the second time with such good results, I am sold on this product for treating flukes. This is only the second time in 6 years that my pond has ever had parasitic infestation. I did not use Supaverm initially in this case because everyone seems to agree that Praziquantel is much gentler on fish. Supaverm is a little harsher on them, but it works for sure and it can kill flukes in much shorter time frame. I would not hesitate to use it again if I had to.

My fish have fully recovered from the treatment with no adverse effects what so ever. The video of my happy mutts was taken shortly after the end of the Supaverm treatment. The slight redness on their shiroji is a side effect of Supaverm. Their colors have recovered completely after a few massive water changes to dilute the medications.

I am back to enjoying my fish now, instead of stressing over them.

Thanks again,
    Sunny

Supaverm is a good product that works for flukes. 2 things... be sure you shake it well before use and it only has 1 year shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by sundan View Post
    Supaverm is a good product that works for flukes. 2 things... be sure you shake it well before use and it only has 1 year shelf life.
    Thanks Sundan! That is the downside of Supaverm because it's pre-mixed. You can't store it in your medicine cabinet for too long. But the product works great against flukes. I wish there is a dry form of this compound available.

Sunny

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Their reply to me was that I did not mix it thoroughly enough. Although, I followed the exact instructions printed on the bottle. They told me to mix it with rubbing alcohol first then mix it with water. Has anybody successfully treated their pond by mixing Praziquantel with just water? A few of you said mixing it with Proform-C will get the best result. I may try that next time.....
    I've always mixed with Proform-C but it is still difficult to mix and becomes more of a slurry that you pour into the pond.

IMHO: Not sure if I buy their explanation. It may be difficult to dissolve in water but surely after a day in the pond, it was dissolved unless your filters picked it up and then you dumped the filters and removed it. Since it takes several days to do it's magic, it would have been dissolved during its working time. On the other hand, I've heard several instances where prazi hasn't been effective on a single or even multiple doses.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast