Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixing Prazi Pro and Potassium Permanganate

Mixing Prazi Pro and Potassium Permanganate

I just eradicated flukes infestation with Prazi-Pro, but my fish still have Trichodina. I want to do a PP treatment, but not sure if it's a good idea to mix PP with Prazi-Pro. Does anybody know?

Thanks,
    Sunny

The prazi-pro treatment was done 4 days ago to kill off flukes. Before my PP treatment for trichodina, I am thinking about doing 50% water change. Does anybody know how long it takes for prazi-pro to be completely expended?

Thanks,
    Sunny

Daihonmei
    Blog Entries
    As general 'Good advise' ALWAYS do a large water change ( 50-60%) before adding another compound to a pond. It makes for a clean slate in terms of interaction and secondary chemical reaction. JR

The lack of specific responses indicates that folks don't really know. I don't.

My guess is that there would be no negative interactions, other than there being something more in the water to be oxidized. But, as regulars know, I don't use PP, so I have no experience whatsoever relevant to the question. With this combo of parasites, I frequently see people using prazi and Pro-form C in combination. There are reported experiences of Trich not being controlled other than by use of PP. If this combination of parasites is going to be treated, and a person intends to use PP for the Trich, then I'd think it best to use PP first. There might well be no need for prazi to treat flukes after the use of PP.

Daihonmei
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure there wouldn't likely be a primary reaction because as you said-- PP is an oxidator- a destroyer of organic materials. But it is the concept of using TWO compounds at once or directly overlaping that is the lesson here--- don't do it and if you do, do a large water change to remove even remote possibilities of problems- primary ones ( such as creating a toxic cocktail) or secondary ones ( such as compounds causing oxygen deprivation or pH shifting). Less is more and prevention is best. JR

PP at 2 ppm did not kill my fluke infestation . I do not use prazi since it has to be in water so long 6-7 days.

Thank you all for your responses! Yes, I should have treated with PP first. Unfortunately, I missed diagnose the problem with my initial scoping. I only saw flukes not trichodina. That was the reason why I started with Prazi-pro treatment. I later discovered trichodina during the second scope to verify if prazi-pro did the job or not. Prazi-pro did eradicated flukes within a few days.
    Like you Mike, I am not comfortable using PP either, but sounds like it's the best stuff to combat trichodina. I am planning to do the PP treatment within the next few days. I am very nervous about the possibility of aeromona bacteria taking hold as a secondary infection from these nasty parasites. I will share the result of the combo(prazi/pp) treatment when I am done. I do have QT setup in case of adverse reaction between the two compounds.

Thanks,
    Sunny

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Thank you all for your responses! Yes, I should have treated with PP first. Unfortunately, I missed diagnose the problem with my initial scoping. I only saw flukes not trichodina. That was the reason why I started with Prazi-pro treatment. I later discovered trichodina during the second scope to verify if prazi-pro did the job or not. Prazi-pro did eradicated flukes within a few days.
    Like you Mike, I am not comfortable using PP either, but sounds like it's the best stuff to combat trichodina. I am planning to do the PP treatment within the next few days. I am very nervous about the possibility of aeromona bacteria taking hold as a secondary infection from these nasty parasites. I will share the result of the combo(prazi/pp) treatment when I am done. I do have QT setup in case of adverse reaction between the two compounds.

Thanks,
    Sunny
    An ORP meter is really helpful during PP treatments, especially if you don't know how much organics are in the pond or in your case, the residual prazi may need to be oxidized before it starts working on the trichodina. A full 2ppm dose of PP will usually raise the ORP between 250mv to 275mv above the pond's baseline starting point.

I'm sure your pond isn't dirty, but the prazi may (I don't know) contribute to the dissolved organics that need to be consumed. I've seen ponds so dirty that a 2 ppm dose has nearly no affect and the water never turns purple. In that case it takes multiple doses and it becomes a dangerous guessing game of "name that color".

Anthelmintics (Praziquantel) are drugs that expel parasitic worms from the body. They interfer with metabolic activity to burden the parasite resulting in paralysis then body absorbtion or evacuation.
    Anthelmintics are absorbed by body, metabolized in liver and excreted in bile. So helps explain why it takes a few days to work in pond.
    Naturally occuring A. can be found in:
    Tobacco
    Black walnut
    Clove
    Garlic
    Diatomaceous earth
    Pineapple to name a few

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Anthelmintics (Praziquantel) are drugs that expel parasitic worms from the body. They interfer with metabolic activity to burden the parasite resulting in paralysis then body absorbtion or evacuation.
    Anthelmintics are absorbed by body, metabolized in liver and excreted in bile. So helps explain why it takes a few days to work in pond.
    Naturally occuring A. can be found in:
    Tobacco
    Black walnut
    Clove
    Garlic
    Diatomaceous earth
    Pineapple to name a few
    Prazi is some what similar to Diatomaceous earth. On snails it kills them by cutting them up with as they go over the powder. Prazi works the same way on flukes. It is a lot more refined that why it is so fluffy and hard to mix. Prazi is not a chemical its a substance there for it can be used with other treatments with no harm. Prazi is given to dogs to rid them of internal worms.
    When i treat with prazi I use pp first to help expose from the slime coat
    the paracites.. then I terminate the pp and use the prazi. This seems to work better. But yes the two can work together at the same time without harm I have done it with no ill effects. after useing ppfor over 40yrs I have found it to be a great tool. This is reinforced by seeing the breeders in Japan use pp with no ill effects. You can kill fish if you do not know how much to use in your pond. Hope this helps and glad you are smart enough to ask about meds.
    Louie

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast