Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Scale loss?

Scale loss?

My favorite Kohaku lost a scale in the beni area really messing up the balance of the pattern. Color is white underneath. Will the scale grow back with the beni?

Unfortunately you won't know until you see it for yourself. I've had some grow back well on a beaten up female after spawning, but it doesn't always work out that well.
    Chyrstal Ball broken, so that's as much as I can see.

Daihonmei
    Yep, a lot depends on the age and condition of the fish's demis. This is really about two things;

1) the fish's ability to grow a new one based on age and season the problem happens in.

2) whether or not the scale pocket itself is involved in the damage. think of this as if you loose a finger nail. But in the fish the scale grows from a scale pocket which is a base that generates new scale growth. If it is eaten away by infection then the 'factory' for regrowth of that particular scale is lost for good. If it is damaged the scale can grow back deformed ( since I'm using analogies here- think of the paper going into a printer wrong and how the writting looks when it comes out the other side).
    If the pocket is normal and uneffected and the season is right and the diet is right, you have a change of a good scale replacement. But even then you can tend to see a difference in the scale as the dermis and epidermis grow over it as new skin and also the scale is 'younger'-- keeping my analogies ripping, this would be like replacing new shingles on the roof amongst ten year old existing shingles- same color, pattern etc but somehow time and exposure have made a difference. JR

Thanks guys, I'll keep my fingers crossed.