Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi varieties?

Koi varieties?

What kind of koi do I have?I know one is a ginrin and two are doitsu. But I've been having a tough time trying to figure out exactly what they are.

The one at the top is a Mukashi Ogon. the orange and white one looks like a doitsu kohaku. The doitsu one in the tub by it's self looks like a doitsu yamabuki ogon.

The platinum looking one is a gin matsuba.

Daihonmei
    Since koi are man made things and given names by the maker of an established genes that a koi look a certain way, a fish is either an identifiable breed or it is a mix or a poor example of a breed.

In some ways it is a case of " what came first, the chicken or the egg". In that the genes exist in the nishikigoi gene pool to make fish look a certain way. But it was the ZNA that organized names and recognized some looks as varieties for their shows.

There are show classifications 13 ( or 14 depending on the show rules)
    And these can have sub divisions ( such as ginrin A &B)

And within these classifications there are about 100 varieties ( really about 90 or so with hybrids or color shade variation making up the balance)

In the class called Kawarimono, there are at least a score of varieties, color shades and hybrids to consider.

But here is where the train comes off the tracks in well meaning shows that work very hard to give non show koi a name----

The names for koi are given when a unique form is created. And some times one must stand on one leg and squint eyes while hopping in a circel to 'see' a difference in one individual fish over another. Indeed there is a human species of koi kichi that wants to name everything in sight!

Some times a koi is just a koi. A loved pet that is 'unique' to the owner but not a special rare variety.

The naming of koi has , as mentioned , to do with uniqueness- but color is limited in koi, believe it or not! And there are only certain color genes. The old breeders and ZNA committees knew this and set about dividing all koi creations into a systematic expansion of genes. So for instance, there are:
    two families of Hikari Moyo.
    And there are only two base colors of koi.
    And there are only four colors of hikari muji with variations in the rest.
    Two scale types and three sub-divisions
    Two skin types and MANY sub-divisions
    In ginrin there are three scale variations and the rest are mixes
    and so on---

Once these foundation rules and histories are understood, It is hard to see every individual as unique and unrelated to the core rules. In that moment we see marketed 'close but no cigar' " new varieties"!

So to answer the poster's question,

the first fish is an ogon. Just an ogon and possibly from a mixed yamabuki/purachina spawn
    the second fish is a doitsu with burn orange pattern. Not kohaku but maybe from kikusui or even kujaku back ground?
    BEAUTIFUL purachina and your best fish by far!

Doitsu references of course, scale type. Yours is of one scale type ( anyone know what that scale pattern is called? )
    And the color is a descriptive and not a variety.

JR

I'm leaning toward Matsuba on the Top Koi because of the dark nostrils , eye lids & color of fins.

Not a Doitsu Kohaku , I'm thinking Kikusui (Platinum).

Purachina (Platinum Ogon), Are there enough rows of scales to truely call it Gin ? From that photo , probably.

Thanks guys, so are they common varieties that get tossed aside? Only to be cherished by myself? And I thought the top one was a kin kabuto or kinbo or some type of matsuba?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNishiki View Post
    Thanks guys, so are they common varieties that get tossed aside? Only to be cherished by myself? And I thought the top one was a kin kabuto or kinbo or some type of matsuba?
    Being "ordinary" doesn't mean they can't be cherished and enjoyed.
    Most of the members here collect Koi that lean more toward the "Extraordinary" side of the ledger, but the value of any Koi to its owner is personal and wrapped up in the pleasure you take in them.

Yeah, I love all my fishies. They give me a small measure of peace and happiness.

Daihonmei
    In the end, that's all that counts! JR