Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brother David Soon...

Unhappy Brother David Soon...

With sadness I report that I have failed you, and my new koi.

I went into town this afternoon for about 3 hours. When i came home I found my koi lying on top of the poly that covers the quarantine.

It appears as though she tore the zipper and rammed the tape right off and then struggled on top of the plastic for an undetermined amount of time.

I have her in a make shift sling in the current of the pond with small hope of her reviving. She was dry to the touch when I found her.

I have no idea how she managed to do it. I've caught my 90 lb. dogs on top of the plastic walking across to get into the other section of the garage and it barely left a stretch in the poly. You can still see the dog's footprints in the plastic on the one photo of the top view.

I don't know where to begin in trying to express my sadness and grief over this event. And I know for a lot of people it's part of the hobby.... we lose some fish. But the fact is an opportunity like the one that was provided me doesn't come around to often and I've just blown mine. The shipping costs alone put some real hardship on me financially but she was worth it to me. And not 24 hours later she's gone.

I really don't know what to say... I'm so sorry for letting you down.

In Sorrow,

Grant

(Larry, don't worry, your koi is fine and I've taken measures to ensure this CANNOT happen to your girl. I will make sure NOTHING happens to her, it's my solemn promise. There is now heavy wood lining the entire perimeter of the pond.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brother David Soon...-img_7433.jpg   Brother David Soon...-img_7434.jpg   Brother David Soon...-img_7435.jpg   Brother David Soon...-img_7437.jpg  

ouch. sorry to hear this grant.

it is part of the hobby. i lost a prize showa that was a gift from a dear friend. the showa decided to find better water outside the pond. i couldn't manage to tell her for a week.

best,

duc

Oh Grant... I was about to reply to your other thread and saw this. I'm sorry to hear what happened? She must have jumped a few times at the same location in order to break through that plastic. Any hope left for her?

Vic.

Bummer Grant, so sorry for the loss. I know it was your best koi and for this to happen is unimaginable but this will happen in our hobby and it seems like it will happen to the best koi we have.

Grant, the only thing I know to say is don't give up hope until there is none.
    They can be more resilient than we imagine at times and even an hour or two is not out of the question. I've got my fingers crossed for you brother.

Thanks for the well wishes and sharing of similar fates. I'm afraid after almost 3 hours in a current she showed no signs of coming around.

I only wish it was a koi that I had purchased. Somehow being that it's a gift it makes it ten times worse for me....

Grant

I am so sorry Grant. Dont' give up on her....I have seen koi dry out all the way only to recover later. She may not be gone yet. Wishing you and your new koi all the best.

Grant , I'm sorry to hear this from you.

Just yesterday I was saying to myself , "My friend got a Hell of a Koi" and was feeling the Excitement you were feeling , now I feel your Sadness .

Troy

it's a sad day all round

I hope she comes back to you, I have had one come back who had been out on the concrete for hours, and was pretty stiff. I held him in the air flow and moved him through the water until I felt the slightest of movements then just let him lie in the pond, he was upright again in about 4 hours.

Not sure how far gone she is but,you may try putting a power head from an aquarium in front of her--to push more O2 and water thru her gills....I a use one of these after I knock one out to bring it back faster.....place it just far enough under the water to so its gently hitting her in her face but, far enough up so its still able to pull air(if you place the whole thing under water it will push just water)...
    Lawanna

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast