Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: how much surface area do I need for a 4,000 gallon pond?

Nisai

how much surface area do I need for a 4,000 gallon pond?

hi, I am planning to make a fluidized bed of K1 media. Would 50L of K1 be enough for a pond of 4,000 gallons? Thanks

What determines the biological load of the filter?
    Is it the volume of water?...or the weight of fish and feed?
    The answer to that question will help you to frame your question in a way that will lead you to a better answer

The amount of bio media has nothing to do with pond volume. How many fish and how much food is a better unit of measure.

Raymond.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma Koi View Post
    The amount of bio media has nothing to do with pond volume. How many fish and how much food is a better unit of measure.

Raymond.

I have about 5 fish that are around 14"~18"
    and 10 fish that are about 7~10 inches and four 6" gold fish.
    I feed about four handfuls of food a day.

I'm assuming that 50L of K1 would be sufficient. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by poisonXvenom View Post
    I have about 5 fish that are around 14"~18"
    and 10 fish that are about 7~10 inches and four 6" gold fish.
    I feed about four handfuls of food a day.

I'm assuming that 50L of K1 would be sufficient. Am I wrong?
    Here's the EA page for K1 which gives you the mfg recommendations for media volume/food volume.
    Koi Pond Filters | Buy K1 / K3 | Evolution Aqua Ltd

If you google online and do some simple calculations you can determine how much k1 biomedia you will need to cover the 4K pond. Fluidized K1 is a very powerful biomedia and, IMO, 50L should be able to handle your fishload easily. However, there are several things you have to take into consideration:

1. Pomd space limitation
    2. Future fish load - it's a no brainer that these 7-18" koi will not remain that size for long, esp if you have good water quality and feed them 2-3% of their body weight a day.

How are you housing the fluidized K1? Are you planning on making your own fluidized from a 55gal barrel. The filter is the heart of your pond so I would not take any shortcuts on it. From my past experience, for a 4K pond I would definitely consider running two 55gal fluidized beds (50L each for a total of 100L). I would also consider adding two extra 55gal as a backup in case I need more media in the future and believe me, if you are kichii enough, that future will be very near.

I recently upgraded a friend's 2,500gal pond with four 55gal fluidized bed filters. He is only using two right now and can fire up two more if he desires to up his stocking rate from ten 15-25". The two barrels that are running right now are more than plenty for the 10 resident koi. The K1 are barely brown...........

Any chance you could post a design of your pond? The advice would be much more relevant and helpful once we see the design and space that we have to work with.
    Last edited by Lam Nguyen; 03-13-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Here's the EA page for K1 which gives you the mfg recommendations for media volume/food volume.
    Koi Pond Filters | Buy K1 / K3 | Evolution Aqua Ltd

Kaldnes K1 More Information PDF

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    If you google online and do some simple calculations you can determine how much k1 biomedia you will need to cover the 4K pond. Fluidized K1 is a very powerful biomedia and, IMO, 50L should be able to handle your fishload easily. However, there are several things you have to take into consideration:

1. Pomd space limitation
    2. Future fish load - it's a no brainer that these 7-18" koi will not remain that size for long, esp if you have good water quality and feed them 2-3% of their body weight a day.

How are you housing the fluidized K1? Are you planning on making your own fluidized from a 55gal barrel. The filter is the heart of your pond so I would not take any shortcuts on it. From my past experience, for a 4K pond I would definitely consider running two 55gal fluidized beds (50L each for a total of 100L). I would also consider adding two extra 55gal as a backup in case I need more media in the future and believe me, if you are kichii enough, that future will be very near.

I recently upgraded a friend's 2,500gal pond with four 55gal fluidized bed filters. He is only using two right now and can fire up two more if he desires to up his stocking rate from ten 15-25". The two barrels that are running right now are more than plenty for the 10 resident koi. The K1 are barely brown...........

Any chance you could post a design of your pond? The advice would be much more relevant and helpful once we see the design and space that we have to work with.
    Thanks for the response Lam. I'm actually renovating my "poorly" filtered pond. I'm going to install a 4" bottom drain and connecting to concrete filter chambers. I have already dug out 4'x9'x3'. The whole filter will be 3' wide x 8' long x 3' deep. There will only be one chamber partition. The drain will come to the first chamber filled with brushes to a up down partition. Next it will have two 2' long 3' deep mats along the water flow. Then it will go into the bed of K1. and then the pump placed at the end.

I'm not sure what to seal the concrete with but I've already ordered only 50L of k1 media. I might buy some more in the future. I'm trying my best to provide my pond with an efficient filter before I go off to college in the fall. So, hopefully this filter will workout so my dad can easily maintain the pond.