Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ever had a knife valve come apart??

ever had a knife valve come apart??

This has never happened before and now I have a mess. I was trying to shut one of my knife valves and the whole darn end of it flew off. Water was shooting out everywhere. All I could do was cram the knife back in the slot and cable tie it together until summer comes and I can block the flow from the pond side. No more cheap valves for me. It was one of those gray ones with the plastic blade. Ever have this happen before???

Sorry about your situation. Glad you were able to cobble together a temp fix. All valves eventually fail and you really do get what you pay for with valves.

Buy the best you can afford and be aware when they start to leak (and they all will) have a replacement handy to switch out before they fail completely. Use unions so that the repair is quick and easy. Better valves will allow you to replace the seals so over time the cost comes down a bit.

Cindy , If I understand correct , your using a Knife Valve to hold water from leaving your pond/filter ?

If I have that right , I would never use that type Valve , use a Ball Valve or Other . I only use Knife Valves to Isolate filter bays from each other or from the pond , etc..

Sorry to hear of the Problem

This is the valve going from the bottom drain to the nexus. I'd have never thought a knife valve could fail in this manner. I know they commonly leak through (as these do) but I never anticipated the entire end blowing off of it. So of course there is no way to stop the flow to make this repair. I might see if I can get one of those inflatable diaphram pipe bladder things. I could push it down the pipe and past the valve so block the flow so I can repair this.

Nisai
    Cindy, I only use ball valves. I do not really care for knife valves because they allways seem to leak.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    This is the valve going from the bottom drain to the nexus. I'd have never thought a knife valve could fail in this manner. I know they commonly leak through (as these do) but I never anticipated the entire end blowing off of it. So of course there is no way to stop the flow to make this repair. I might see if I can get one of those inflatable diaphram pipe bladder things. I could push it down the pipe and past the valve so block the flow so I can repair this.
    You may need to lower the water level to the elevation of the valve to make the repair. I hope that can be done without having to remove all of the fish.

Daihonmei
    yep. The gaskets come loose. I've had many a handle snap too ( winter freezing and sun's ultraviolet I suspect).
    That's why I usually switch out values when I have a reason to work on a section during redesign to replace values. I now use schedule 80 ball values ( expensive gray ones) and where that kind of muscle isn't needed, I use the traditional faucet design ( there are nice ones with a schedule 80 housing and a red handle like a garden spiket). They are good because they are sensitive to flow and you can easily regulate exactly what you want to pass thru unlike a gate value. If you use gate values I'd install two in each application so you have a fail safe. JR

Knife Valve

I have a knife valve that does not close completely. It is installed in one of the bottom drain 4" pipes that goes to the settlement tank, but when I close them, this one still leaks a bit of water, a small steady stream. It doesn't bother me much as I'm doing my clean out, but I was concerned that if I ever really needed it to be completely closed it won't.
    I've been advised that this is not a good enough reason to go to the trouble of replacing it...it would be a big job.
    Vicki
    Vicki Patsdauter
    Dallas Texas
    Friendship through Scales
    Dallas Koi Kichi Club

Hi Vicki,

It would be much less stressful to replace it before it fails unexpectedly and completely and likely at the worse possible time. Like when you are away on vacation or in the middle of a ice storm next winter.

Yep....I can't wait on this too long. If it failed, it would not only drain the pond half way down, but it would flood both of my pumps and ruin them. So this repair can't wait too long. I have known for a long time that both of these valves leak a pretty good trickle of water through when closed, but it never concerned me because the water just went on into the filter. But now that the end of the valve has blown out, it's a BIG problem that needs to be fixed. It's just a matter of figuring out a way to block the drain line up so I can pull the valves out. I may try a cramming a big glob of plastic down into the drain line past the valve and see if I can reduce the flow enough to replace the two valves.

Cindy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast