Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Is there something wrong with my koi?

Is there something wrong with my koi?

Lately my koi has been sleeping on it's side like it was dead and every time I try to scoop him out, he swims normal again... Is there something wrong with my koi?

That is not normal. What is your water temp?

right now the temperature is 52 at 6:30 pm California time, but its not the same temperature as in the morning. I will try to remember to check the temperature next time and try to take photos too. It's a trip, because this has happen two consecutive time now...

I had a showa that started to "sit" vertical. Nose to the ground, tail in the air. A hobbyist said it sounded like it was an internal bacterial infection. I treated with standard antibiotics as directed and sure enough he was cured upon completion of treatment. I don't know if such an infection would make a koi lay on it's side though.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    That is not normal. What is your water temp?
    kntry, today my water is 50F and guess what, it was playing dead again It looks normal, no obvious deformities, but then again, I had never pull him out of the water to actually check. All my kois are inactive and are lying down in the bottom of the pond.

I came home today at work at 5:00 pm SoCal time and this is what I see as I look for him...
    This is the fourth time now.

This is what happen after I tap him with the net.

This is what happen 5 minutes later. Swimming normally with the school after I mess with the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    I had a showa that started to "sit" vertical. Nose to the ground, tail in the air. A hobbyist said it sounded like it was an internal bacterial infection. I treated with standard antibiotics as directed and sure enough he was cured upon completion of treatment. I don't know if such an infection would make a koi lay on it's side though.
    redman, I had a koi go tail up before too, but never had one that laid on it side before, unless it was dead...

Is it just me or are the fins really that red? In any event, not normal behavior.

Raymond.

Meg
    water test numbers please.
    then a water change of 20% ...even with pictures I can see DOCs so I should think a water change is in need regardless.
    and adding air wouldn't hurt eitherand may help while we wait for your test numbers

red fins and clamped even when upright.... the fish is stressed.
    what is your fish load, pond size, filtration and matainance?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    water test numbers please.
    then a water change of 20% ...even with pictures I can see DOCs so I should think a water change is in need regardless.
    and adding air wouldn't hurt eitherand may help while we wait for your test numbers

red fins and clamped even when upright.... the fish is stressed.
    what is your fish load, pond size, filtration and matainance?

Good Call ! Only thing is I'd be doing 20% water changes a couple times over the next week , the water looks in poor shape.

I came in from playing basketball one night and somehow my hi utsuri had managed to get on top of the net over the show tank. She was in the center , so was still in the water, but was on top of the net. I dont know if she thrashed trying to get off the net or what. But in the next few days, she started to do this very same thing. Every morning when I went to turn the light on, she was laying motionless on her side.

I heard different things such as sleeping sickness,,,i called a good friend and he suggested I salt to .3 and give the koi time. He said the stress from the incident could be what was causing the problem. Within 3 weeks the koi was fine and has never done this again, but it was a every day thing for 3 or 4 days before I made the phone call.
    Member of IKONA
    Supporter of Koi Usa/AKCA