Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Rotary Drum Filtration, is it the future of mechanical filtration?

I do not think promotion of bacteria in the water column is good. Greenwater, as you know, has a high correlation with hikkui going into remission. I do not think RDF filtration would affect either to a material degree.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I do not think promotion of bacteria in the water column is good. Greenwater, as you know, has a high correlation with hikkui going into remission. I do not think RDF filtration would affect either to a material degree.
    So if rdf cant stop hikkui from developing then can we conclude that even very clean filtration system can induce hikkui in some ponds?

Quote Originally Posted by sacicu View Post
    So if rdf cant stop hikkui from developing then can we conclude that even very clean filtration system can induce hikkui in some ponds?
    Maybe it's simply the case of rdf gone bad. Rdf is an easier way to mechanical filtration. But if it results in complacency on the part of the keeper, it can work to his disadvantage. Is he still flushing the bottom drain? Doesn't he still have a settlement chamber that needs regular cleaning/dumping?

There may be something about the water being too clear that there is no algae to block harmful effects of intense sunlight. For that, I would have a shade sail on a the extreme sunny months.

Edit: rdf gone bad should read as rdf owner gone bad

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Maybe it's simply the case of rdf gone bad. Rdf is an easier way to mechanical filtration. But if it results in complacency on the part of the keeper, it can work to his disadvantage. Is he still flushing the bottom drain? Doesn't he still have a settlement chamber that needs regular cleaning/dumping?

There may be something about the water being too clear that there is no algae to block harmful effects of intense sunlight. For that, I would have a shade sail on a the extreme sunny months.

Edit: rdf gone bad should read as rdf owner gone bad
    Pond is adequately shaded. WC is more than 10% a day. Pond is lightly stocked. Pond is temp controlled. Bio is very clean always. RDF works very well.

Pond is adequately shaded. WC is more than 10% a day. Pond is lightly stocked. Pond is temp controlled. Bio is very clean always. RDF works very well.
    Is the bottom drain still being flushed? Is the settlement chamber being dumped?

Other factors at play would be the pond flora, whether it is helping the skin develop or not.

Another is nutrition. I've always wondered why as koi gets larger, the harder it is to maintain a flawless skin. One factor is that most koi food formulations, even the amino acid profile, is geared towards growth maximization, as needed in aquaculture in raising fish as food. Concepts such as FCR (feed conversion ratio) must solely apply solely to aquaculture, and not to raising koi. It's interesting that some expensive food incorporates silk worms, the reason being silkworm is high in the amino acid glycine. I don't know the exact amino acid profile of food such as Hi-Silk, but it would certainly depart from the growth-centric formula of ordinary koi food. It would likely have more glycine. Gelatin is high in glycine. Even in Chinese food, pork hocks, chicken feet, and fish head are highly esteemed for the effect of improving skin, because of the gelatinous composition. It would not be surprising if a better diet for koi would improve their skin, and even prevent the occurrence of hikkui.

There are a lot of theories about the causes of hikkui, but they are only theories. The actual cause(s) is not known. We do know there are numerous reports of it going into remission when the koi is placed in greenwater mudponds, only to return over a period of months when placed in clear water... even very shaded clear water with low stocking and excellent filtration, including in breeder greenhouse ponds on the occasions when an oyagoi with hikkui is not returned to the mud. It seems to defy logic, probably because we do not know enough to understand what may be a simple thing when the cause is someday figured out.

Does placing an RDF guarantee a hikkui free koi or costia free pond?
    I wouldn't confuse RDF technology with a certain raceway style filter that claims to reduce Hikkui, nor do I believe an RDF could contribute to the phenomenon.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112