Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary Drum Filtration, is it the future of mechanical filtration?

Daihonmei
    right. But it's more than just maintenance. As it turns out it is about something called 'fundamentals'. And you can't get around that. Resetting base readings is part of the understanding of the four dominate processess that occur in every koi pond. Their regulation and resetting comes from understanding their presence. Fundamentals. JR

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
    Generally speaking, advanced hobbyist's opinions carry a great deal more weight.

For myself, I'd like to know about the system this thing has been tried on. Number of gallons, amount of fish, clarity of water, water chemistry, etc.

I am and work as an aquatic biologist, and such things interest me. JR is also a classically trained biologist although he works at something else, and he's into that stuff also.

We need more than a video from a work bench and a sales pitch to be convinced of the efficacy of the newest and latest hobby gadgetry adapted from old style aquaculture devices.

I do tend to buy every snake oil that comes down the pike, though. I like gadgets too.
    Brett, Thanks again for another constructive response, to answer a few of your questions, the system it's been tested on is 13,500gal, has 2-4" BD's, 2-4" Skimmers, 1-3" Mid-Water Pickup and 2'2" Mid-Water Pickups feeding a KC-60 model. A Bakki style shower system is used after that.

The fish load is approximately 40 fish ranging from 14"-30"

Here is a link to the manufacturers website: RDF for everyone - www.rotary-drum-filter.com#!

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    no disrespect taken, and do understand that I'm not interested in getting into a debate as to the merits if an established prefiltration concept. And I'm certainly not going to fight with the fans of a new piece of kit as the introduction of the spinning vortex, the fluidized bed, the bacteria house, the answer unit and a few more had every newbie excited and many rushed out to buy the units immediately. Only to find out later on that heaven was still not on earth.
    Indeed I spent four hours seated with the importer discussing koi and pond design in general. VERY nice guy with a working understanding of pond filtration. But very early on in the hobby and quite innocent about some of the things he will undoubtedly learn over the next few years.

In the end there will always be a market for new equipment for the 30 something male hobbyist to add to the daisy chain of hooked on equipment. It is at the heart of the hobby fun actually. So no problem there.
    I purposely placed a post a few posts back to try and put all these things into perspective. I did this knowing full well that the excitement of a new kit and the desire to have solutions to existing problems would cause that post to go right over the heads of the enthusists of new. That's Ok too.
    But somewhere over the 'techniological rainbow' is the big picture understanding of the koi pond environment, the causes of problems and the actual solutions. It doesn't come in a box and it doesn't plug in. It is an approach based on the realities of a closed system. And not based on a bottle, an additive, an oxidation compound or 'bestest' technology.
    Something to think about anyway? Peace, JR

Once again JR, no disrespect, I'm aware of your plane ride with the importer, he also informed me you were given an invitation to visit his pond to see first hand how effective the RDF is.

Technology seems to be a dirty word in the koi pond world as it goes against the story telling and lore that has be perpetuated through the years. If it weren't for technology we'd still be using cell phones the size of toasters, turning a crank to start our cars and licking envelopes to send our responses back and forth.

The needs of koi are not going to change nor will the chemistry that supports their health change, how we go about maintaining that environment will change though.

In reality the RDF is not new technology in itself so their function is not even a question. What technology has done is made them more user friendly, more automated and more affordable.

Jumbo
    Mike Snaden at Yume Koi in the UK has been looking and implementing drum filters over the last year I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrmnkg View Post
    Technology seems to be a dirty word in the koi pond world as it goes against the story telling and lore that has be perpetuated through the years. If it weren't for technology we'd still be using cell phones the size of toasters, turning a crank to start our cars and licking envelopes to send our responses back and forth.
    I do not think anybody was saying "new technology" is bad.

What I heard was "old technology" packaged in a "new" box.

Crystal clear water says the RDF video.... with a 60 micron mesh mechanical filter?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I do not think anybody was saying "new technology" is bad.

What I heard was "old technology" packaged in a "new" box.

But what you should of heard is old proven technology in a package that finally was made so you can afford to own. It is not "cheap" if you compare it with DIY filtration and SC but at any time would do 1000 times better job in removing organics and debris out of the water and not trapping it somewhere in the filtration system until is removed. And if you really add the filters than can be either eliminated or substituted by this, then you will see that is actually a very cost effective item.

JR thank you the "VERY nice guy" comment. Feeling is mutual. I will take innocent too, in good faith. What I do not understand though is how this mechanical filter is against the "Fundamentals" you are talking about. As a matter of fact the whole point of this filter is to help reinforce the fundamentals.

Water change is never to be substituted with any filtration and anybody that kept fish for a bit in a recirculated water environment already knows. Monitoring the water is never to be substituted either. I am a water keeper myself and that is why this is such a great tool for me.

How can it be more simple that having all your water pre-filtered mechanically down to 40 micron and then passed to your bio filtration free of polluting debris? That way your filter system has to deal with compounds already dissolved in the water and the bio bugs can do their job much more efficiently.

The removed organics will not tax your water any further and that is the goal of any mechanical filtration.

I am a passionate koi keeper, dedicated to the hobby wholeheartedly. I saw tremendous benefits to the koi keeper and that is why I got involved in this.Time will tell if I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Crystal clear water says the RDF video.... with a 60 micron mesh mechanical filter?
    You can choose the 40 micron option if 60 micron is not clear enough for you. The human eye cannot detect anything smaller than 40 microns.

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    right. But it's more than just maintenance. As it turns out it is about something called 'fundamentals'. And you can't get around that. Resetting base readings is part of the understanding of the four dominate processess that occur in every koi pond. Their regulation and resetting comes from understanding their presence. Fundamentals. JR
    guess I am the one who is going to bit on this for you JR
    "Resetting base readings is part of the understanding of the four dominate processess that occur in every koi pond. Their regulation and resetting comes from understanding their presence. "
    I do understand what you are saying but as a test question I am having trouble putting it together as a list of four, maybe an essay answer would come together for me but I would need to get my research notes together to write it!!
    that simple statement you have made is so very complex!

Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    Mike Snaden at Yume Koi in the UK has been looking and implementing drum filters over the last year I think.
    I believe he's already done so and really likes the results. Shower systems function much better in tandem with the RDF units.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast