Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Grill Problem

Nisai

Help! Gill Problem

I have noticed gill problem on this koi for 2 days.
    It is a 30cm. female tosai sanke.

I injected a dose of 0.15 cc Amikacin an hour ago.
    This was just for, if, it has sepsis in its gill.

Please help on how to correct this problem

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help! Grill Problem-img_20110407_132426.jpg   Help! Grill Problem-img_20110407_132443.jpg   Help! Grill Problem-img_20110407_132451.jpg  

Tategoi
    I doubt very much that it's a bacterial problem and the amikacin won't help at all. It's much more likely a parasite problem...do a scrape and scope and ID it

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I doubt very much that it's a bacterial problem and the amikacin won't help at all. It's much more likely a parasite problem...do a scrape and scope and ID it
    I agree that this doesn't look like bacterial problem.

But.
    Could parasite affect grill this way?

Daihonmei
    Yes, this koi is under some kind of stress and the gills are showing excess mucous and damaged gill filaments.
    the possibilities are;

1) parasites ( do a scraping of the gills and look at the mucous sample under a microscope)

2) environmental - this means ANYTHING that is a chronic stresser needs to be reviewed. we/I would need some history on the fish and some comments about your other koi's gills ( if this is a long time member of the pond) in order to get a full picture as to the nature and source of this gill damage.
    Heat ( is it a Japanese import and from where?) is a common problem for koi going to tropical areas.
    Organics is another long term damager of gills ( actually the bacteria count that is associated with organic build up.

There is an article in the May Nichirin that you might want to read.

3) shipping-- shipping of course involves many hours in the bag and koi mostly come thru fine. But in some cases, heat, ammonia and aids put in the water can all damage fills. This is a temporary thing but the fish MUST be babied and rested in great water to assure the problem ends there.
    There are basically three conditions a gill finds itself in when placed under such damaging situations- clubbing, embolism and cell lifting. I will be doing a review of these things in the ZNA column in about two months. so check it out and compare you experiences ( as you will have cured this fish by then) with that article and let me know how you do.

JR

Nisai
    Sorry for misspelled "gill".

JR, I have this koi since January. So there should be no stresser related to shipping of any kind.

Temperature in Thailand went berserk for 2 weeks, we had, literally, winter in summer for 2 weeks. But the temperature is back to normal for the past week.

I have no equipment to look for parasite, however, kois in my pond do not flash at all.

Should I just go ahead, and try to eliminate parasite?

Daihonmei
    There is no way of knowing if you should treat for parasites when we don't know if they are there. what would we treat with and for what? And worst of all, the gills are damaged and excess slim can be seen so any heavy compounds such as parsitic agents in the water are not good for this fish's respiration and metabolic exchange.

So I'm assumming this is the only fish with such symptoms? Until we know that to be a fact we can't isolate your fish's problem as a 'personal problem' or a 'group/school' problem. And the answer to that riddle will provide us with a good sense of "yes it is an environmental problem" or "no, it is just this fish's problem". Understand?

I would salt the water and if you have GOOD quarantine facilities with excellent water, I'd move the fish and salt the fish at the level of one pound to 100 US gallons of water. Areate heavily and hold off on feeding for a day or two ( the fish IS eating, right?)

JR

I saw JR posted this on his last post at the end and it was something I always think of when dealing with Gills , "Increase the Air" !

Quote Originally Posted by bridsys View Post
    kois in my pond do not flash at all.
    Koi with parasites on the gills react different than Koi with parasites on the body.

Nisai
    Hey, many many thanks to you all. Below is the video I took, 8 hours after I did pp on the quarantine tank. The result is fantastic. The koi breaths normally now.

The fish is in the same environment as the previous video. Same tank, same air supplier. So, it is definitely the parasites that caused the gill problem.

Again, Many Many Thanks.

Tategoi
    It's a definite improvement but it's not 100% yet. With parasites it usually take 2 or 3 doses; maybe even 4 to clear all stages of the parasite. Give it another dose 24 hours after the 1st one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast