Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Kohaku

My new Kohaku

Finally she got home from japan!

Oyagoi: Love Queen
    Almost 2 years old
    59 cm at 1 years old. Not measuered it at 2 years yet.

Your comments on general quality , bodyline etc. will be apreciated

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new Kohaku-2kohaku....jpg   My new Kohaku-2kohaku1.jpg   My new Kohaku-2kohaku.jpg  

Daihonmei
    That's a beauty!

Well ok, I will try as long as you don't get mad. Conformation looks good. Pattern starts off great from nose but gets a bit simple for my taste but that's just me. Good luck!

KingKong

Mad? Of course I wont get mad. I ask for comment and critique are just as welcome as positive feedback.

Personally I love the pattern

A simple two-step pattern looks good on a strong-bodied koi. It allows the eye to take in the full impression of the fish at one look. If the body remains strong as she matures, the pattern will enhance her. At this age, the eye wants more interest in the pattern when viewed in a bowl. That will change in the pond when she swims. My wish for you is that there be no shimmies.

AWL
    Tosai
    There is nothing more simply elegant than a 2 step kohaku

Daihonmei
    well I hope Kong doesn't get 'mad at me'! But DAAaaaaa?! Pattern on a fish of this grade is kinda secondary ( to say the least).
    Understanding koi is not hard but it can be tricky, and mostly characterized as a series if plateus interrupted by the ocassional Epiphany know to the pop culture as " the coulda had a V8 moment'!

So for the beginner and then for Kong---

1) koi are appraised as to their beauty. And one key to beauty in a fish is rarity. But koi are also appraised as to their grade or quality level as well. And a fish with nice pattern can't compete with a koi of much higher grade.

2) koi are judged differently as they are LIVING art. And therefore as they grow and age DIFFERENT elements of beauty take precedence. To point out a 'boring pattern' on a high class fish is to miss the point or grade and quality. In that reality, pattern is really the last of the considerations. Does this mean that the upper grade koi can have NO pattern -- of course not! Just that the presence of the fish with a great body line, great finnage, great strong back bone, great evolved translucent skin filled with luster and dep color cells is not punished for a classic pattern. understand? JR

Oh I understand but after looking at many kohaku over the years, I enjoy them like no other koi in the pond. Being a highly educated and skilled patron of the arts, my eye is highly trained which at times can be a joy and others be a detriment. In other words I am tired swan dives...I need more complex moves to get a 10 out of me.
    Kohaku can display all types of feelings. Some can be scanned quickly with ease while more complicated patterns with proper positive and negative spaces can create more interesting designs that require the viewer to hesitate. Hesitate is the key word here. To prolong the enjoying experience for the viewer. To allow the eye to read and study the total experience. Can be a positive out come or it may just lead to more confusion. As they say, koi are living art so don't be afraid to allow them express distinction.

I like the bone structure of this Kohak has alot of potential. Pattern is to each his own, but quality looks very good.

AWL
    Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    1) koi are appraised as to their beauty. And one key to beauty in a fish is rarity. But koi are also appraised as to their grade or quality level as well. And a fish with nice pattern can't compete with a koi of much higher grade.
    Thanks JR
    But My comment was from a personal preference not a rarity or quality perspective. I am not a Kohaku lover but for me a 2 step would be the fish for me but not just any,I would give you a couple of fingers for this one as would most I would think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast