Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanke project

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Very nice development given the long winter they experienced. I am thinking 'male', but will hope there is a female in the group.
    Wow Mike?? All 3 male given the body on some of them? I've checked the vents, the gills and the pecs and could not find any of the 'signs' to indicate male. I've also milked for sperm and could not produce any. Our water is still sitting at 23 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Good Day Brother Ernst

I would pick Sanke 1 over the other 2 Sanke anytime . Sanke 1 is still a class above both the other 2 . Beni & Sumi placement most desirable . Beautiful bodyline from photo , but I think you can consider removing the 2 polka sumi dots on the forehead ?? It will give this Sanke a cleaner look . Easier to remove these dots since it doesn;t involve the scales .

Good Choice Brother Ernst .. Certainly make a good study Sanke on the 1st one . PLease keep us posted on their developement ...

David
    Thanks brother D. The maruten did win a 'best potencial award' when she was 45cm big last August. When I establish that she is indeed a she and my 'dream' of growing a tosai to 80cm in 6 years becomes a posibility with this one - refinement will definitly become an option!

Great update.

Love to see koi development like this.

Thanks for sharing

Good Morning Ernst.

#1 picked as "most powerful".
    I'm betting female on this one, with a "wait for me" future as the sumi fills in and the skin cleans up and finishes. I'd be very tempted to throw in a higher percentage of Hi Silk at this one to keep that skin clean and well fed. Her frame is powerful, her pattern potential well balanced, but in the newer pictures her luster seems to be suffering a bit. I think your expectation for the winter months cleaning her up is just what the Doctor ordered.

#2 picked as "instant gratification".
    With a sold pattern and color development from the beginning this one is easy to fall in love with. Not surprised it's done well in early shows with strong colors, a nice pattern balance, and a powerful tail tube. The male/female question is still in doubt, but if female she could go far.

#3 picked as "long and lean grower".
    With the long shoulder area from head to dorsal I expected good proportional growth, but this exceeded my expectations a bit. Still looking like a skinny male, but a long lanky one to say the least. All in all a very good performance at this stage of the game but I have to wonder if the frame will ever really bulk up.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Thanks all. I've got to make the call by September before our next growing season. One one will stay in my pond or somebody else will have to go. I'm leaning towards the Maruten for now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12