Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Showa nissai

New Showa nissai

Well - this year I purchased 4 new koi. I did move several out last year. I posted the Kohaku I got.

I also got this SFF nissai showa at 58cm. not sure how much she has grown but it seems she has put on a bit.

I also got a nissia Karashigoi from Marudo and a sansai chagoi from Ogata that has now streched to 75cm.

This showa is more old style but she sure makes a powerfull impression. The split pec has healed completly.
    What to you think? Too much sumi for the future?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Showa nissai-nissai-showa-58cm.jpg  

Looks very "strong"

What I would hope for is that the sumi would not come up in some places. Especially arround the head. I like the head pattern and the potential for a good balance between red/black/white and hope it will not get overrun by sumi.

Best of luck!

My biggest complaint is too much sumi over beni. It tends to make the sumi look weak...even brownish. Great body though!! Very attractive.

The angle of the photo is problematical. If the body lines are as good as the photo makes it seem, this will be a strong fish. With the sumi showing only over the Hi at this point, sumi quality is tough to evaluate. As to pattern, I think it will have a very appealing old-style look.

This girl carries a very cloudy crystal ball
    If the Sumi fills up everywhere it shows I think Mike's "old style" prediction will come true in a good way.
    On the other hand... if the Sumi in the shiro ground remains Kage while the rest fills in she will be a very interesting mix of shaded beauty. Part of me is voting for the latter possibility

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The angle of the photo is problematical. If the body lines are as good as the photo makes it seem, this will be a strong fish. With the sumi showing only over the Hi at this point, sumi quality is tough to evaluate. As to pattern, I think it will have a very appealing old-style look.
    Thanks Mike - perhaps this angle makes things a bit better? Yes she is a very strong fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Showa nissai-sakai-showa-56cm.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    This girl carries a very cloudy crystal ball
    If the Sumi fills up everywhere it shows I think Mike's "old style" prediction will come true in a good way.
    On the other hand... if the Sumi in the shiro ground remains Kage while the rest fills in she will be a very interesting mix of shaded beauty. Part of me is voting for the latter possibility

Thanks Larry...oh -the game we play with showa and the dreams we dream..

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    Thanks Mike - perhaps this angle makes things a bit better? Yes she is a very strong fish.
    This is a great fish . It is pure nonsense to look at a fish and say too much sumi or beni it is the final balance that counts. Let us look at this fish from a living art point of view. The eye actually goes to the lightest color on a black fish and the opposite on white.
    The secret is to look and squint , one can then get a truer picture of final finish and the future balance. This fish has that balance so has great potential as it has both size and confirmation to go with it.
    So congratulations.
    Regards
    Eugene

I'm impressed by the color battle happening just behind the head. Shiro, sumi and beni all fighting for top spot. The beautiful translucency of the shiro gives us a window into the show going on below. Only can happen on great skin and strong color.

Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    My biggest complaint is too much sumi over beni. It tends to make the sumi look weak...even brownish.

Bob , That's not the case if the Sumi is of Quality !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Showa nissai-koishot-020.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast