Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Fads In Koi

Fads In Koi

Are there Fads in Koi ?

What made me think about this is in the latest Nichirin (Feb.11') they cover the 46th ZNA All Japan Nishikigoi Show. Of the over 50 photos of Showa in the issue there are very few that I would call Kindai, yet that seems to be "The Look" we want here in the States.

Are we already going back to the more Traditional Showa Look ?

fads are definetely a part of the hobby. Sanke for example went from
    heavy sumi to small sumi and back again to heavy.....kinda like fat versus thin ties.

I don't know if there is a trend away from kindai Showa. Perhaps it is a matter of improving quality overall, and given a choice between a koi with a classic pattern and one without, the classic pattern wins? I can understand a reaction against the kindai types that have more of the appearance of a Sanke with minimalist wrapping sumi. There is also something about Showa with a sanke-like body form that disturbs expectations. But, in the end, I think quality will win out over 'style'.

On a different level... In 2010 Ochiba were very popular and sold rapidly at CFKS. Several dealers sold out of them quickly. This past March, a lot of dealers had a lot of Ochiba to take back with them, but I don't think you could find a single nisai Yamabuki available by 10am on Sunday. There was a fellow looking hard for one. Any particular year, a dealer will guess correctly what to bring to sell, but over a period of years, I have not seen a single dealer correctly guess what people will want on a consistent basis. But, there are definitely sought-after varieties each year. Maybe it has to do with an article in a recently received magazine, or threads on popular boards, or the phase of the moon.

Preference for kohaku patterns are definitely changing too.

When I think Showa , I think Power. Not sure that a true Kindai Showa show's the Power.

Another example is Shiro Utsuri : We went from 50% or more Sumi to now 33% or less . Give me thick , wet Sumi and the more the better !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fads In Koi-9-15-10-031.jpg