Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you tell which gender?

Tosai

Talking can you tell which gender?

hey guys,

What do you think is the gender of this baby shiro?

I am thinking it is a female because of the translucent fins, but the sumi seems to finish so early so male.

Is this a good shiro?

+ / - comments are welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can you tell which gender?-210007_1798719326175_1185534826_31817892_6313720_o.jpg  

Shape of fins looks male to me.

Baby koi are difficult to determine as male or female. Even the experts can make mistakes 10-20% of the time. Once koi get to be two and especially three years old the chances of determining male or female go up to 98-99%. Be aware that even as adults there are male looking females and female looking males.

In general as one year old baby koi females will be slower to develop so the most colorful koi at this age are mostly males. Also males tend to have a more yellowish color during breeding season and be slimmer.
    The primary bone(leading ray) of the pectral fins is usually much thicker in males. In breeding season males develop a gritty feeling to their gill plates and leading edge of pectral fins but this is not always present in immature males. Breeders will run the tip of their tongues along the leading edge of a baby koi's pectral fins as this is a more sentitive way to detect the grittiness produced by male hormones in breeding season.

The vent opening shape and appearence is also different with females having a flatter or protruding vent being somewhat rounder in shape while makes have a more oval vent and slightlly depressed opening. Keep in mind all of these sutle differences are more apparent in older koi vs baby koi and in some koi there are in between changes.

During breeding season it is possible to massage some sperm from male koi which wold be 100% proof of being male.

In the end you will often hear koi breeders give a % of sex determination for baby koi. Something like I think 80% chance of female based on the accumulation of the various differences observed on a particular koi.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Tosai
    Your shiro has rather large pec fins I think. Do you know who the breeder is?

have to agree with jimbo....looks like boy to me. Lots of ground to cover to answer your question as to whether i's "a good one" or not. It could be a good one to learn on. Afraid that it might not fare well as a show fish. Since it's future is in your hands why don't you try and provide the water and nutrition it needs to be the best it can be.I think one of the best lessons from purchasing
    a tosai from tateshita is to follow how the pattern changes. I think so often we hunt for attractiive features (menware) only to have things move around and change.
    Dick Benbow

Tosai
    thanks for the responses mate.. this is my first SU.. i'm kinda new at koi and stuff and what little knowledge i have yet comes from reading along topics from here..

Here is a photo of high quality jumbo adult koi. Guess the sex??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails can you tell which gender?-gcm.jpg  

Tosai
    I'm going to guess male due to strong leading ray on the pecs.

Tosai
    female????

Everything about the fish says female when viewed overhead as in this photo. So, what does he look like from the side, Ray? (....I saw the video)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast