Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big not to worry about predators?

Tosai

How big not to worry about predators?

My koi are safe only because of a net. But as they are getting bigger, I want to know how safe they are. The 28" can't be problem, but how about the "18.

It depends on the predator. I doubt any koi kept by a hobbyist becomes too large for otters to target. Herons are known to stab at fish much too large for them to eat, leaving serious wounds. It is not possible to protect against every possibility. Determine what lurks in your area and plan accordingly.
    Last edited by MikeM; 05-13-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo

Tosai
    Thanks Mike, I will just keep it covered and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by zmeu View Post
    My koi are safe only because of a net. But as they are getting bigger, I want to know how safe they are. The 28" can't be problem, but how about the "18.
    Nothing is safe from 12 year old human boys. They are protected... it is against the law to shoot them.

;-)

Do not leave nets around when you are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by zmeu View Post
    I have seen meter long spawning lake trout that were speared by a heron
    so nothing is safe from heron. My biggest losses were from mink so now I drain my mud pond every spring and that is a help.
    Regards
    Eugene

Nothing is safe from the Chupacabra...Nothing!!! But, I too have had a heron spear the head of a larger koi. So, nothing is safe...just be vigilant.

I lost 16 Koi ranging from 8" to 18" and in another pond that had ALL my Large shubunkins and fancy Comets (10-15 fish) that were 12" plus and at least 8 years old during Christmas last year. All by a single heron and there was a netting cover over the pond. I didn't have the netting tight enough and it would spear the fish larger fish and wait until it surfaced and reached under the cover and got them. (since then I have made PVC and wire covers to protect the ponds, ugly but far more efficient) I was out of town when the attack started, when I got home he was down to the last 8 in the pond. It got the 17'" and 18" both one morning and I caught what he was doing. I found both of them out in the yard but they were both already dead. I took them and put them on a bench to go get my camera and take pics, when I came back out the sucker was back and was seriously trying to eat my prize 18" Shiro Utsuri I had had for two and a half years in it's mouth. I let my big Labrador Retriever out hoping it would chase it off, he did better than that! He eliminated the problem! Old heron had gotten the large Koi hung in it's throat and couldn't take flight and Johnnie man won the battle!! Yippie!! So the answer to your question, 18" for sure isn't safe!

Tosai
    I will hold the net over the pond. I live across the street from a lake, so lots of preditors there. Lost and lots of beautiful kois lost and ever since I've had the net over the pond, not a single loss, knock on wood.

The net coveres about 90% of the pond, but I believe the sight of the net keeps predators away. Damn birds have superb vision and they see the net and just stay away from it.

Does this possibly make you rethink 90% cover is enough? BTW, It's been back since. The night shot was taken with a trail came as I couldn't figure out what was attacking at night, the second pic was taken at night with a flash, saw it fly from the pond to the tree so I just started taking pics. And look who I saw!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How big not to worry about predators?-005-1-.jpg   How big not to worry about predators?-dsc07107-eastern-screech-owl-otus-asio-1280w-1-.jpg  

Yep, cover that last 10%.

I had a net over my last pond and had a hole about 8 inches wide that was uncovered. The heron studied that net for about an hour and when I went to get my camera, he found it and was standing in the hole. Dang smart birds!

Standing was the problem, now the new pond is too deep for a heron to stand. Straight sides, 5 feet deep, that's the only way I was able to retire the net.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast