Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sakai Sanke Development

Sanke development

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KaKFSX2k44w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can anyone show me how to insert this properly
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Can anyone show me how to insert this properly
    Q

You only use the last part of the YouTube URL to insert in the Bito "Tube" option;
    ie; KaKFSX2k44w

thanks much appreciated!

the Koi reminds me a lot of a fish JR had a few moons ago. made the cover of a rinko if i remember correctly

Sanke development update

Measured the maruten today - now measuring 45cm

Sakai Sanke Development-slide1.jpg

Daihonmei
    Hi, yes Dick, you have a good memory, very similar male fish and I instantly thought of my old guy when I saw the picture. These kind of koi are natural show fish as they bring strong pattern and finish to the competition. The finish on this fish is superb and for a young show fish, it would be hard to beat. It will give way soon to the big girls however, in that ( is this fish male? right Quinton?), as the tategoi types will be coming on beyond this size.
    This will then be a classic battle between high finish bright color vs complex skin and complex color. I'd like to be judging the show where that happens. A super educational moment and the lesson of beauty as a shifting sand as koi grow from young to young adult to mature adult.

This fish by the way looks very make in the photos but hints of maybe female in the video. If it turns out to be male as I suspect it is from the color type, the nose shape and the finish look, It has a wonderful deep body for a male. If a female, I worry the other way- finish, pattern type and bone structure of face. All in, a lovely fish for today regardless of sex. JR

P.S. I'll tell you another fish this fish reminds me of Dick, Art and Nicole Lembke's well known marutan. His fish as a very similar beni tone and finish type-- strong singular coat or two. High finsih, high luster content.

From the time that I got the fish I suspected male. The fish has a very bulky body and grows well. There is no sign of male to date - water has been very warm this summer - felt no roughness of the gills, pecs look good and the body continues to bulk. Im hoping female - If that's the case I think it will have a bright future - lots of sumi still to come through. Will keep you posted -

Daihonmei
    Just for future reference Quinton, when a fish has very crisp finish at age one and two, and if a fish has deep color of one coat and finally if a koi tends to have a pointy nose and not too broad a head, you are often seeing male characteristics in color and finish.
    You points you mentioned of pimples ( breeding nuptual pimples) are in young mature fish and full adults.
    And as you pointed out, the belly that is full to accommodate the ovaries and eggs is the untimate 'tell'.

Did you grow this fish in a shallow pond? How many times a day do you feed? these could account for a feminine looking body on a male with good bone structure. JR

The large round pectoral fins and color finish lead me to suspect that this is a male fish as well. In warm weather though, one would think that there should be some roughness along the gillplates or leading ray of pec fins. Considering this is a sansai, the koi should be sexually mature and have milt production. Best way is to flip the koi over and try and milt it. Very beautiful SFF sanke.

JR, just for my learning, you mentioned that fish growing in shallow pond and/or feeding frequency may cause a male with good bone structure to look like a pudgy egg-bound female. Any chance you could elaborate on this? The concept of shallow versus deep pond is of interest to me.......and it doesn't help that different hobbyists have different views on pond depth and female body development. Thank you in advance.

Daihonmei
    Evening lam,

Shallow ponds in closed system are different than shallow ponds in a flow through system-- point #1.
    Shallow ponds in tropical climates are different than tropical ponds in a temperate water system.

IF we are discussing ONLY the growing season in any climate, shallow ponds tend to allow a koi more weight. The reason is HOW the koi uses muscles- red or white muscle mass to be specific. As judges, we can actually tell how a koi has been raised-- too shallow a pond or too much food often looks similar.
    In temperate waters, we want deep ponds so that the fish can move 'dimensionally'. In tropical ponds koi are active all year round and shallow can work OK. But that is based then on the size of the koi! 24 inches being shallow for tosai-- But ridiculous for sansai.
    In tropical settings carp are in eternal summer. And that is a benefit and also a problem. In temperate climate,which is much more natural for koi, they grow FOUR DIFFERENT ways in the four seasons.
    SO--- Males can be made to look more like females in shallow ponds with alot of food. This is a condition though and not a natural bodyline. JR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast