Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Some Kids Like Broccoli ...

Some Kids Like Broccoli ...

Some Kids Don't .

I was thinking about something that happened earlier today when I fed my Koi. I had a friend send me a sample of a new brand of Koi Food to try and this morning I tried it for the first time. I only threw in about a 1/3 of what I would normally feed. Not one of my dozen koi would eat it , not one. I then threw in my normal blend of pellets that ended up mixing with the new food and watched as my Koi ate around the new stuff to get the normal blend. I jokingly called the friend to ask what did he do to the stuff as he said his koi loved the new food.

Thought it was strange that not one koi in my collection would have anything to do with the new pellet. You'd think at least a couple Koi wouldn't mind the taste. Kind of like some kids liking Broccoli.

Just Thinking
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

I've had some similar experiences. My guess is that the fish get adjusted to a particular range of flavors and smells, and just have no interest in something completely different. I'm told that various insects are wonderful sauteed or deep-fried. I'll never know.

I have twwo kids of food mixed by mistake. Corn based floating and fish meal based sinking. The koi will not touch floating until last resort.

Given a choice koi will pick what they are accustomed to eating or what tastes best. It should be a given that what tastes best is not necessarily the best nutrition. If you want to change koi foods for some reason just skip feeding for a day or two and then toss in the new food. They will tear it up and gooble as much as they can as fast as they can. I try to skip a day now and then when actively feeding during growing season. After skipping a day watch the koi tornado whirl when you start feeding again.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

I always mix a portion of the new food with the old as a transistion and seems to work just fine.

I have been feeding tomi-gai this winter and recently changed over to try kenzen. I mixed for two days and never skipped a beat,

Some Kids like Watermelon

In addition to preferring one mfg koi food over another, my koi do not like fruit. I had always heard koi will eat watermelon or oranges - but not mine. They suck it in, but spit it out and float in front of me waiting for the krill!

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Given a choice koi will pick what they are accustomed to eating or what tastes best.

It should be a given that what tastes best is not necessarily the best nutrition.

If you want to change koi foods for some reason just skip feeding for a day or two and then toss in the new food. They will tear it up and gooble as much as they can as fast as they can. I try to skip a day now and then when actively feeding during growing season. After skipping a day watch the koi tornado whirl when you start feeding again.

Hobbyist Friends , Thanks for the Replies.

Not giving them a choice , they just decided not to eat. Then ate around it after they did have a choice.

I've always scratched my head when I hear a Hobbyist say how good a food is by the fact "My Koi Love It" .

Not interested in changing foods , was just trying this new food.

My Koi will be fed for the last time later today as they'll Fast until the Louisville Show next weekend. I'll try to remember to try this food again Friday afternoon after the Koi have been caught for the Show. I'll report back.
    Last edited by HEADACHE6; 05-22-2011 at 09:19 AM.