Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 step kohaku, 47 cm

Here's another that shows the body lines a little better, I think.

Now, here is a picture of it back when I purchased it last fall (October, if memory serves me right). As you can see, it has thickened up substantially since then, and no longer appears to have that tosai body shape we see in so many tosai that have those big heads and tapered down tails. I think that this is due to a lack of feeding while in route to their destination. Don’t you think?

Either way, I think the quality of this fish far exceeds most of what I have purchased thus far. The only thing I question is whether male or female. Part of me really doesn't care. To have a fish of this quality, if I can bulk it up and get it to a good size, I think it would do fairly well as a show, depending on my finishing ability and ability to polish the whites (as if they need additional polishing). Okay, as long as I don't RUIN the whites!

The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Here she is in October after the growing season was complete.

She ended the year at almost 20", coming into the year at 15.5"....and I dig her frame...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 step kohaku, 47 cm-compare-kohaku-2.jpg  

The SJ Koi 5 step is now 22" long after another year of growth in the mud. Body is looking improved and stronger I am told (as I have not seen it yet after harvest in person).

Here is a sibling, born the same year. This one is just under 21"....quite a better body, but not as much in terms of length. I am pleased with them thus far.

These are good Kohaku, Ethan. I hope you end up with the pond you've dreamed about for them.

SJ produces some nice koi. They tend to stay on the small side. SJ has not devoted space to grow large koi, so parent selections are based on quality factors other than size. For many, this fits the bill. We get caught up in the size of koi. The jumbos are so impressive. For many who do not have ponds suitable for 80cm koi, the more affordable ones that will max out in the 65-70cm range make a great deal of sense, particularly if they develop their eye to select for quality.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. I think there is something to be said for competing in a category you feel that you are capable of excelling in. At this point in my life, the 20-26" range may be all I can handle.

the beni is really nice! I always wanted one of Richard's bekkos. So glad he's still working with the same passion he has had all along.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    the beni is really nice! I always wanted one of Richard's bekkos. So glad he's still working with the same passion he has had all along.
    Is he really? His web site is not updated.
    San Joaquin Koi

Nice job Ethan. Coming along well!! I lost my SJkoi Kohaku this season. It seemed she decided to see if she could fly. Found her dead next to my pond...heartbreaking. She was a very nice maruten, but a slow grower. Won me best kohaku at the pioneer valley show a few years ago. Is Richard still selling? I do not see him on ebay or selling anywhere else?? I would like to get another kohaku from him next season.

True beauty!

I haven't seen him around either. The last I heard a few years ago, he was working on big block Sumi Bekko's. I'd love to have one of those but have never seen them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast