Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: "4" step kohaku

  1. #1
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894

    "4" step kohaku

    This one is filling out as well...

    50 cm as of Friday, same age as the other...

  2. #2
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    This must be one kickass fish. Everyone's speechless...

    Paul?? Grant?
    :-)

  3. #3
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    This must be one kickass fish. Everyone's speechless...

    Paul?? Grant?
    :-)

    From this picture I can't get any kind of feel for the beni at all. The photo exposure leaves the impression that the beni is stretching or breaking up between the scales from the 2nd step on back. You need to give us a bit more info "eyes on" and some more views...

  4. #4
    eds
    eds is offline
    Sansai
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    179
    I agree with the above to an extent. The thing that caught my eye was the beni on the left side which seems to have a pale edge to the scales.

    I'm afraid I don't like the ragged edge to the first beni step either, but maybe that will pull in and tighten up?

  5. #5
    Oyagoi gcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Falls, WA
    Posts
    1,620
    Different breeder so it may not apply however, I see what looks like bleeding beni on the kiwa and if you followed my other thread on my SFF kohaku that was about the biggest indicator that it may not be long for this earth. And sure enough, the koi's beni is crumbling before my eyes.

    Also, the pattern is cool, but the whole thing needs to shift backwards towards the tail for my taste. It's weighted heavy on the front end and that white caudal peduncle just keeps grabbing my eye...

    Hoping that Richard's beni is far and removed from the fate of my SFF koi Ethan.

    Confirmation seems pretty good. I like the shoulders and the head on it. What's the depth of the body like?


    Grant

  6. #6
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    the depth of the body is quite phenomenal. This fish jumped out of the pond three weeks ago. I went to walk the dog and it was laying there, not quite stiff but dry and not doing well. I suppose it could have been there for 30-60 minutes. I spent 55 minutes moving it back and forth in the bubbles, while my wife and daughter spent an hour praying inside that "sara" would make it.

    This was all before church on a Sunday morning. She started to move her tail and then swam away. It took a day for her to get her bearings straight. Her cheek, the left side, has a small scrape of the beni but other than that, her beni was fine the moment I put her in the pond. The one thing that I have noticed is that this one has grown the most of any of the fish in my pond this spring thus far.

    The exposure in the picture is not great. I had a difficult time taking pictures of her, as the flash really didn;t do nice things to the beni. What I do see in person is a stretching of the leading edge of the scales, where the kiwa is rather light compared to the rest of the fish's beni.

    when bent, the scales do not show any white between them, which makes me think that the beni is solid, just in a growth form. HOwever, I have been proven wrong before (most often by my wife, in far more important matters....).

    Anyhow, I'll see if I can locate a picture taken the same day with a better view of the beni in a better exposure. I do see what you are all saying though.

    Im just pleased she is alive. She pretty much came back from the dead.
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

  7. #7
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post

    From this picture I can't get any kind of feel for the beni at all. The photo exposure leaves the impression that the beni is stretching or breaking up between the scales from the 2nd step on back. You need to give us a bit more info "eyes on" and some more views...

    Here's another view Larry. I believe that what we are seeing is growth in the edge of the scales, and that the beni is weaker at teh edge and hasnt filled in yet...I saw something similar with another kohaku last year and the beni consolidated during hte winter.

    I may be proven wrong so we will just have to see...

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "4" step kohaku-dsc02167.jpg  

  8. #8
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Different breeder so it may not apply however, I see what looks like bleeding beni on the kiwa and if you followed my other thread on my SFF kohaku that was about the biggest indicator that it may not be long for this earth. And sure enough, the koi's beni is crumbling before my eyes.

    Also, the pattern is cool, but the whole thing needs to shift backwards towards the tail for my taste. It's weighted heavy on the front end and that white caudal peduncle just keeps grabbing my eye...

    Hoping that Richard's beni is far and removed from the fate of my SFF koi Ethan.

    Confirmation seems pretty good. I like the shoulders and the head on it. What's the depth of the body like?


    Grant

    Here's a picture showing the depth of hte body (top fish is the one we are talking about). As you can see, at least my opinion is the body is top notch (at least of my fish!).


  9. #9
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    ...This fish jumped out of the pond three weeks ago. I went to walk the dog and it was laying there, not quite stiff but dry and not doing well. I suppose it could have been there for 30-60 minutes. I spent 55 minutes moving it back and forth in the bubbles, while my wife and daughter spent an hour praying inside that "sara" would make it.

    This was all before church on a Sunday morning. She started to move her tail and then swam away. It took a day for her to get her bearings straight. Her cheek, the left side, has a small scrape of the beni but other than that, her beni was fine the moment I put her in the pond....
    Im just pleased she is alive. She pretty much came back from the dead.
    Considering the harrowing experience she's had so recently she must have a very sturdy disposition. Some Koi have been known to quickly fade to Muji from less traumatic experiences than that. Keep plugging away with her Ethan. Seeing how well she recovers over the growth season could be educational.

  10. #10
    Oyagoi mrbradleybradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,087
    Do I see secondary hi on the gill plate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Suda Kohaku from 5" to 14.5" in 4.5 months
    By Ethan25 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-25-2008, 10:14 AM
  2. Is "Jumbo" as misused as "Tategoi"?
    By Lam Nguyen in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
  3. Judging Koi: "On The Day" vs "Quality"
    By MikeM in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 04:02 AM
  4. A Couple "Quality" Kohaku's
    By HEADACHE6 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM
  5. SD koi show "" YOU WRITE THE CAPTION""
    By keokoi in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com