Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Course of treatment?

Fry

Course of treatment?

Hey All, I'm new to this forum, but had always used this as source of knowledge. Was away for a 4 days and had my father dose 50gm of Prazi b/c a couple fish were flashing but everyone looked great. Reason also being that I had introduced two fish about 2 weeks prior w/o QT. I know, but came from trusted friend where other fish are from. Came home 2 days after prazi to fine white spots (salt size) apparent on black of utsuri and goshiki, though all other koi flashing constantly, some sores where scales had come off. Jumped the gun and dropped gal to 4K and dosed 1.4x strength of Proform C. They are still flashing consistently only has been about 5hrs since treatment. Should I go with every 3 day dosing with Potassium in b/t Proform dosing. The UV is still off from Prazi, turn it back on? Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Water parameters are fine PH7.5, Amm 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, NO salt temp 82 degrees
    4500 gallon
    4.4 aquadyne
    Zappure 10
    Artisian 7800g/hr

Please slow down a bit and determine what is really going on before adding more chemicals to your pond. Prazi only works on flukes. Have the koi been scraped and scoped with a microscope to determine if they have parasites and what type of parasites they might have. Is there a hobbyist or dealer that you know in your area that can assist you with a microscope exam? If not please contact the closest koi club to see if they have someone that can assist you. Treating you pond/koi with chemicals without knowing exactly what is causing the problems will likely cause more damage.

In general, if most of your koi are in distress it is more likely to be primarily a water quality issue than a primary disease/parasite issue.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Fry

Thanks Ray

I am currently looking at microscopes or for someone that might have one. For the time being, do I go with the daily proform c or the 1.5x every 2-3 days. I'm more comfortable with Potassium but decided on the proform after reading up on the prazi/proform tx. The fish looked alittle better this morning, less flashing anyway.

The only action I can reccomend without knowing what is actually going on with your koi is to do whatever you can to improve water quality. Increase water changes, pond/filter maintainence, and stop feeding until the koi return to normal. If you have parasites (which is just a guess at this point) we would still need to know what kind of parasites specifically to know which treatment to utilize. Plus after treatment we would need to recheck with another microscope exam to be certain the parasites had been eradicated and no additional type of parasites had emerged.

If you are going to guess what to do then do not treat for something that you do not know even exists. Focus on water quality unless you can determine what is wrong.