Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Mud pond water changes

Mud pond water changes

Are water changes required in mud ponds? I'm worried that pheromones are building up but I have no idea how I'd fill it back up.

I dont know the answer to you question Sandy, I just wanted to take this moment to say how green I am... Wish I had mud pond questions... lucky girl you!

Grant

in japan, june is the 'rainy month" and many of the mountain mud ponds get a little shot of water exchange provided by mother nature.

But the rest of the year,water quality is maintained by lower stocking densities. The water is moved a bit and aireated by mechanical means. I couldn't imagine your over stocked.....I truely think the difference between Koi pond and mud pond is stocking density.

as Grant suggests your in a unique situation with not as many Koi Kracies having a mud pond. So use your powers of observation and walk your pond
    and see what the look of the water tells you and how your fishes appetites
    are doing.

maybe in the years ahead, you'll be the one that is able to supply the answers.
    Dick Benbow

my thought is that mud pond water changes happen naturally, although not as much as a regular pond. The number of fish per gallon is so insignificant....remember.

also, as the water sits there, much of it is contained in the mud, but some does escape....and as it escapes, unless you are in a drought, you are going to get water to fill in where that left. I wouldn;t worry too much. The cost to get additional water there would be significant, and if city water, the dechlorinator could mess with the pH of the pond.

I'd let the mud pond take its course.
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Grant, I don't know how lucky I am. Most don't know this but I lost my Brady gorgeous Showa last year because I don't know what I'm doing. Imagine having expensive fish and putting them into your very first pond and having never read a thing on pond maintenance and filtration! It's sickening.

Dick, I have 9 big girls and maybe 30 babies about 2" that don't seem to be growing. Definitely not overstocked. I know there is a ton of leaves in the bottom so I'm hesitant to stir it up. I do have a 4800 gph pump spraying water 24/7. I'm scared to get in the pond because of snakes. They're hiding down there, waiting to get me! LOL

Ethan, we're in a severe drought here. My parameters are fine but I don't have any way to measure pheromones.

Brett has already taught me so much about managing the mud and I'm truly indebted to him. He helped me get my pH, alkalinity and hardness heading in the right direction before I lost all my girls.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Sandy , I know you have followed my project over the years. I believe the biggest part of the success is the 100% water change we do from one season to the next.

At Harvest we have a empty pond , then treat the Mud. By spring of the following year we have a full pond ready for another season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mud pond water changes-10-23-10-178.jpg   Mud pond water changes-3-15-11-006.jpg  

Troy, what do you treat the mud with? Do you scrape out the muck and let it dry out?

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Troy, what do you treat the mud with? Do you scrape out the muck and let it dry out?
    We put about 500 lbs of powered lime on the mud and allow it soak/bake. Last winter we didn't get the lime out as early.

We have a belt of muck around the edge of the pond but once you get past that area there's very little muck. This is an area we'll need to work on after harvest this year , just a general cleaning up of the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Are water changes required in mud ponds? I'm worried that pheromones are building up but I have no idea how I'd fill it back up.
    Not all ponds are the same. Nor once dug a pond starts to silt up so it is changing. I drain in the fall and treat with lime so there is some aireation of the mud. Then drain again in the spring. Again in a rainny year I will get some outflow in a dry year I can get a drop of up to 10in. The larger the body of water the easier to maintain. Up to a million gal airiation is required I use a third HP compressor with 4 sets of air stones because of the length of the pond. A comprssor is required for deeper ponds.
    Regards
    Eugene

Thanks, Troy and Eugene.

My problem with draining the pond is I have no place to put my fish. This pond was dug before we moved to house my fish till I could get a pond built. As usual, finances aren't cooperating.

I'm thinking of enlarging the QT from a 16x4' inground pool. This housed 14 big girls for 2 years with no problems, having 2 static filters and 4 moving beds, shower, sand/gravel filter and semi flow through. I can hook up this pool to my 3500 gallon lily pond, effectively making it 8500 gallons. I can set it up on semi-flow through but I'll have to take the water from the top instead of the bottom like I had it set up at the other house.

I'm now planning on pulling the pond in October or November when it cools off and moving the fish to this set up for the winter. I'll muck out the pond if it needs it and let it dry over the winter. Our winter is only 2 months long.

Do you put the lime down to adjust pH?

Yesterday, I used a fish net and scraped it along the bottom as far as I could. After several tries, all I got were a couple of babies and 3 freshly fallen leaves. Maybe it's not as bad as I think or all the crap is in the center.