Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to learn

Fry

I need to learn

My family bought 3 koi from petsmart that are about 4-5 inches long and we keep them in a pond that's about 50 gallons (just a guess) and I know that koi are very adaptable. What I'd like to learn is how big they'll get in this size of a pond, would they grow bigger later on if we put them in a bigger pond, how can i get them to be more friendly, and what breed is the black one in the picture below, because it was gold when we got it (not ogon koi gold, there's an ogon koi next to it though) and when we got home it was black.
    Thanks for the help.

You need to take a trip to the library and check out a book on koikeeping. There is too much to learn to do it on the internet unless you already have a base of knowledge. Most of the internet chatter will make no sense without a basic framework to which you can relate the bits of information you find in postings.

One comment you make is one I hear frequently from newbies... the idea that koi grow to fit the size of the pond. There is a teensy tiny bit of truth in that idea, but so little that the notion is fundamentally flawed. Koi will grow until they are too big for the pond, unless the pond is very large... thousands of gallons. At the point they are too big, they are producing so much waste that the water quality deteriorates, the koi's immune system is impaired and the koi die from whatever disease or parasite comes along to take advantage of their weakened condition.

Your 50 gallon home for your koi may do fine for such small ones for a few weeks or so, but that is about all. (I hope you have filtration of some type, or there is little hope they will survive very long.) Koi are intended by Nature to grow over 2 feet long. You can get by with about 750 gallons for 3 koi, but 1,000 gallons is more like the minimum for keeping koi. You will find that successful koikeepers usually have ponds of over 3,000 gallons. The serious koikeepers have serious sized ponds.

You have been attracted by the beauty of koi. Now, your adventure begins. Find that book to read and jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrr View Post
    My family bought 3 koi from petsmart that are about 4-5 inches long and we keep them in a pond that's about 50 gallons (just a guess) and I know that koi are very adaptable. What I'd like to learn is how big they'll get in this size of a pond, would they grow bigger later on if we put them in a bigger pond, how can i get them to be more friendly, and what breed is the black one in the picture below, because it was gold when we got it (not ogon koi gold, there's an ogon koi next to it though) and when we got home it was black.
    Thanks for the help.
    50 gallons is not a pond or big enough to keep Koi in.

I have a 50 gallon aquarium... which I keep Guppies in.

Fry
    alright, well at this point I hope I'll still get to keep the fish to be able to get a new pond, my parents say that if they get much bigger they're getting rid of them, and my family jokes around a lot but they keep saying they're going to eat them when it gets to that point

alright, well at this point I hope I'll still get to keep the fish to be able to get a new pond, my parents say that if they get much bigger they're getting rid of them, and my family jokes around a lot but they keep saying they're going to eat them when it gets to that point
    My advice is to take the Koi back to Petsmart and trade them for some goldfish.

Keeping Koi in a very small container is like trying to keep an alligator in your bathtub or a pony in your bedroom.

Fry
    we've had them too long, they had a 12-day return policy I believe, and that's up

Fry
    we've had them too long, they had a 12-day return policy I believe, and that's up
    I would try. Otherwise, unless you can find a better suited home for them, they will very likely get very sick and die. And that, old chap, is a very sad thing to go through. I know that from personal experiance.

Fry
    as of know I'm working on convincing my parents to allow me to get a bigger pond, so thanks for the help but I still want to know, what are the breeds of the koi?

as of know I'm working on convincing my parents to allow me to get a bigger pond, so thanks for the help but I still want to know, what are the breeds of the koi?
    For starters... Google "koi varieties".

Fry
    so when the koi get too big my parents have decided to take them to the pond at my grand parents that doesn't have any fish in it, it's an actual pond though, not one that uses a liner or solid plastic or whatever, so I'm worried, will they be harmed out there?

edit: I've also told them that they're supposed to get bigger and they keep insisting that they will grow to the size of the pond

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast