Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bakki Towers

I'm not sure about the weather where you live, but the one concern to take into consideration is that in cold weather these become "chilling" towers. So it wouldn't hurt in your pre-design to also consider how you might construct some insulated walls with top during winter.

I still run my showers and am happy with them. I have used many different types of media in them over the years, each with relative sucess. my least favorite is volcanic rock because unless it has a hard wall of water splashing directly on ALL the pores, they can trap fines and cause it to go anerobic.

I think all of us at one point have started a pond with the aestetics in mind first and then got so involved with the fish that we ended our fovus on what made good water first....then tried to work it into the landscape later. best of luck on your project,
    Dick Benbow

Meg
    Ric I have a stack of bio balls in them, but I need to separate them and but them in about three different stackable trays in each tower as I think that would work better. I contained them to the center of the pots for air circulation but I believe it would be better if the waters crashed through several more sections instead of running through this tall pile of balls.
    but I must say although my lily garden(aprox 12000 gal) is VERY green right now and temporarily housing six koi as I rebuild the koi pond, my water test look great. I have a pile of foam to scoop outeach morning stuck along the little stream back to the pond, docs don't show in tests and there are plenty. and the koi have dumped and scredded through 10 pots of lilies.
    but that tower is keeping up with the amonia, nitrites and nitrates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki Towers-img_5523.jpg  

In a earlier post someone suggested to use only large pieces of Lava Rock so it wouldn't Clog. It's the same Rock , doesn't matter the size and will Clog and as Dick stated go anerobic.

Go with a different media and Pre-Filter the Hell out of the water before it goes to the Tower.

good point on the prefilter, Troy!

Definitely pre-filter!

Even with the pre-filtration I have, stuff would get through. So, I have placed a couple of layers of skimmer mats across the top layer of media in the top tray. These catch algae glarf and a good deal of fine particulate. With the pre-filtration in place, these mats need cleaning about once per month, and somewhat less often in certain seasons. It has greatly reduced the material otherwise captured in the media where it decomposes.

This is what I use as a Pre-Filter for my Foam Tower Filter. I still have "Stuff" settle in the lower area where the foam comes out. I don't want to think what would be in the Tower if I didn't Pre-Filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki Towers-c48.jpg  

Sansai
    OK..... You guys are the best!
    So prefilter prefilter prefilter!!!! and top shelf if not all shelfs cover with matting? what is matting? does any matting do? where does one get "matting"
    I finally found feather rock locally... it's $19.99 for a rock 12 inches to 18 inches. or $27.99 for 18 inches to 24 inches (pieces of rock).
    Is this a good media?
    Would I want to cut it to little pieces?
    Do I want to use this for a media? or is there something better? not BH I can't afford that
    Thank you guys for all contributing!!!! and comenting and posting pictures!!!! This really helps me out! I have NOBODY here in (utah) that really has koi ponds and no Koi clubs. So you guys are IT for me! oh and GALS!
    so please let me know what matting is and what you think about the prices I mentioned and if feather rock is good stuff.
    Thanks

Tosai
    Will the shower be direct return to the pond or can it be placed so that the return is into a stream? Remember that the showers shown are mostly 36"-48" long, but only 12" wide. Turn it sideways.

Raymond.

Matting is just a flat piece of Filter Pad.

Sansai
    Raymond, I haven't really considered exactly how i'm going to situate it yet. I was thinking behind my water fall and letting it flow into my water fall somehow. I do Like the Idea of a little stream
    I'm still thinking I will need more (BIO) filtration somewhere... maybe a stock tank hidden in the waterfall? with lots of balls or fluidized kaldness of sorts? then over some falls into my pond?
    Headache? is the filter pad any certain kind? I'm just not sure where to buy/get some? I look at pictures and to me it looks like people have air conditioner filter padding. But from what I was told this stuff is held together with glue. It also falls apart and the bacteria will eat the material, and or glue rather than the ammonia it's suppose to.
    I'm SO EXCITED!!!! I just want to get my money and get going on this! My poor Kois need a new home!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast