Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bakki Towers

Sansai

Bakki Towers

Well.... I've done alot of research on this forum. From the advice of Grant I've seriously considered using bakki towers for a main bio in my 10,000 gallon (in preocess of building) pond. He suggested them and I couldn't picture them being part of my system for cosmetic reasons. After reading tons and tons and tons on all your guys posts... Sounds to me there isn't a better way to go????
    After many many many hours of reading (Dick Benbows) thread about "bakki towers" I've learned QUITE ALOT! Alot of the words I didn't understand and had to google dictonary to get definitions. I still am a very confused individual. BUT!!!!! From what I have gathered and read one thing I've decided... I can't have a pond WITHOUT them
    My Girlfriend DEFINITELY is fighting me on this one! She thinks it wont look natural and thinks of them as an eye sore. She refuses to research and read up on everything as I do. I quoted someone else who said "would you rather have an ugly bakki tower? Or an ugly un-healthy pond? she has gave in!!!! So now..... I am trying to think of the best way to (DIY) them. Not only for something that looks good, but that will last and not have to be replaced and have high maintanance?
    Please help me think of great ways to build these?
    1. Milk crates I could get for free.... but they have holes in the side.
    2. wont milk crates deteriate from the weather and the sun?
    3. I can't seam to find anywhere that sells feather rock locally.
    4. would some long flower pots (hard plastic be a good idea??)
    5. is lava rock a bad choice? if so why?

These are just some of the things that go through my head....
    I'm still waiting for a $5,000 bonus in July to get this thing going... I know 5K isn't much but it's about all I can start with....
    So I hope to have 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 2 totes 275 gallons (for mechanical) 2 1/2 hp pumps, media, materials to DIY all filtration and plumbing.... and hope to somehow manipulate a phoam fractioner out of the bakki.. (if I can figure out how to do that)
    I have attached a photo of my next door neighbors (thingy) over his sidewalk and thought maybe this would make a pretty and sturdy frame for a bakki tower?
    The other picture I stole from someones thread, I thought it looked cool
    Please let me know on any great ideas for a bakki tower? and how I can make it look pretty but be efficient and hassle free as well?
    Once again want to thank Grant for all his great and kind words of advice! And everyone else who has helped get me closer towards the right track on a healthy koi habitat!
    thanks!
    Mike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki Towers-bakki-tower-frame.jpg   Bakki Towers-bakki-tower.jpg  

Sansai
    Oh.... By the way... After reading alot of the bakki tower threads , I then realized they are OLD threads and wondered if maybe they aren't as great as everyone thought they would be back in 05?
    Yeah I have a hard enough time understanding what I read, let alone the date it was wrote.. hahaha
    DUH. I should pay closer attention to detail.

Oyagoi
    taking your second picture just think of putting something 2-3 feet out and like a building idea with this inside or just on 3 sides you will see(think back of your photos.
    can not remember but guessing Powerman??? think he has what i am thinking in my head where it looks like a structure or wall or hard to describe but adds to the beauty

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Oh.... By the way... After reading alot of the bakki tower threads , I then realized they are OLD threads and wondered if maybe they aren't as great as everyone thought they would be back in 05?
    Yeah I have a hard enough time understanding what I read, let alone the date it was wrote.. hahaha
    DUH. I should pay closer attention to detail.
    I recently visited RSA. There all ponds have bakki shower.
    They are:
    -good for bio
    -help gases escape
    -aerate your water,
    - Cool your water in summer.
    For short they are fantastic.
    Remember they need large flow of water trough them.
    And water must pass freely trough them.
    Material has to have large surface area and voids in between so it does not clog.
    Water going to the bakki must be prefiltered, minus organic particles.
    U ca Use many kinds of diy media in them.In RSA they use plastic shavings, and they are sold at pet stores. Some people make their own plastic shavings by shredding milk bottles into 0.5-1cm strips.
    Many people use lava rock, but make sure they are larger peaces, so they dont get clogged.
    U can also use clinker which U can get for free from the nearest furnace that uses coal. Wash it well fisrt.
    Milk crates are meant to last. I am sure U can use them, but remember if water splashes from them U can have very large water loss.
    I used beer crates, which are solid on the sides and 50cm deep.
    I am sure U can improvise, and if need be U can drill holes in some containers on the bottom.
    Hope it helps.

Meg
    Mike
    show the girlfriend this, it is how we housed our showers on the lily pond.
    that smiling fellow also fought them at first
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki Towers-img_5538.jpg   Bakki Towers-img_5543.jpg  

You can hide the Bakki behind a feature wall or hide behind a row of tall plants....etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Mike
    show the girlfriend this, it is how we housed our showers on the lily pond.
    that smiling fellow also fought them at first
    Meg,

What are you using for media?

AWL
    Tosai
    I hid mine in the filter house

Do more research. There is a guy, Zac... doing some wonderful work with bakki showers... and the new media rocks hands down. I see no foam and water looks clean...
    The Zakki Shower, distributed by Deepwater Koi Innovations

Tosai
    After great success with a small shower made from 30" plastic planter boxes , I will build a large one for My future big pond.

I purchased these after seeing a lot of people using them
    Blue StakPak Long Box 48 1/2" x 15" x 11" | U.S. Plastic Corp.

I would suggest You contact Birdman
    Bakki shower filter
    He can steer You in the right direction, and He has great ideas on showers with foam fractionaters .

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast