Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dainichi Hi Utsuri

got a chance to see this beautiful koi "live" today.

all i can say is "wow". look for her at a show in texas soon. a definite stunner.

here is a video i took, she looks amazing. and the pecs are very proportionate to her body (imo).

enjoy!

It is good to have two videos in different lighting. The uniformity of the Hi continues to stand out; and it seems to be strong and thick. She seems somewhat less full-bodied. Perhaps a bit of weight loss, or a bit of growth? The imbalance of the sumi in the pecs is more pronounced in the sunlight, but not too important in the overall. So, my thinking remains pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DAINICHI View Post
    I have seen this koi being bowled at Dainichi many times, many people like this type of koi. But most people thinks it is to expensive to buy because it is not a gosanke, even if it is a showa type koi. Very, very nice koi, I am glad you buy the koi. I only see this quality koi only a few times at Dainichi and they do not keep this type of koi, because they only breed gosanke. Thank you for sharing.
    People do like Hi Utsuri, but so very often their Sumi becomes speckly and the Hi is uneven, with thin areas that take on a yellowish tone. It is a variety that has caused a lot of disappointments, especially when acquired as tosai. Even the nisai imported to the U.S. usually show the beginnings of speckles. These can be very attractive in the pond, but do not compete well against other non-gosanke at shows. If there were purposefully bred Hi Utsuri, things might well be different. But, it would take a greater investment of resources than has occurred with Shiro Utsuri, and so far it has not happened despite the public's attraction to the variety. Red pigment in the Utsuri group has proved to be particularly tough to refine. Adding Kohaku genetics for the red dilutes the Utsuri traits, and leads toward Showa. So, the occasional exceptional by-product of Showa production is the best that can be obtained. Rarity brings costliness, and still there is the risk of even the exceptional one degrading.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It is good to have two videos in different lighting. The uniformity of the Hi continues to stand out; and it seems to be strong and thick. She seems somewhat less full-bodied. Perhaps a bit of weight loss, or a bit of growth? The imbalance of the sumi in the pecs is more pronounced in the sunlight, but not too important in the overall. So, my thinking remains pretty much the same.
    First of all thanks Duc for posting the videos, so I don't have to do it. Between taking care of your girls and moving fish around all day yesterday I forgot to make the video.

Hey Mike, thanks for all the comment. She does look like she lost weight and that's because she has not been feed since she was harvest in late October of last year. But give me a couple of months on the new food diet that I'll be feeding her and then you can tell me what you think again later.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    Brett

Some very interesting comments. Before I continue any comments are not specific to the Hi Utsuri posted.

In terms of 'refinement' I fully understand what you mean about directing customers to Hi Showa, not so sure about Aka Bekko ;-)

One of the 'attractive' things about Hi Utsuri is probably the fact they can get to 1m, I've seen some very impressive 90cm+ examples. When I say impressive they aren't just big but they are bright and clean examples too, i.e. rare.

Of course not all Hi Utsuri can reach 90cm+, they are special examples from special parents, they aren't the 'accidents', are they? Maybe there are accidents, those from Showa, that can achieve that? Inevitably 99.9% are culled by Showa breeders.

I was shown a Dainichi Shiro Utsuri at a show recently. To say it was ordinary was an understatement. For whatever reason it was kept at Dainichi (apparently).

Why is Dainichi the 'penultimate'?

Mark
    Howdy Mark,

I really enjoy your comments and time to time your blog. Although I've been a serious student of koi for more than 30 years, I'll never have the time, energy, money, and young man stamina it would take to do what you have been doing. I'll venture to guess that by the time you have finished up studying in Japan you will know more about koi than any other person on planet Earth that speaks English as a first language. You have earned my respect both in your dedication as a student and more so in your striving to present what you've learned in order to enlighten the rest of us (especially those of us that primarily speak English).

I'm sure I got a picture somewhere, probly on an old computer, but in all my years of breeding koi I've had exactly one hi utsuri that I felt was "good enough." It was the offspring of our first attempt at showa. So long ago that we had to use a female hi utsuri and male showa as in all of SE Texas I could not find a reasonably decent, adult female showa. Although as you might notice, I do not much care for the variety, I kept that one for over ten years until it died.

Although the hi utsuri in the pic is certainly an excellent example of the variety, it pretty much drives home my feelings that the variety lacks refinement. If this is among the very best of the best, and nearly all others fall short of this fish' mark, and I really do not care much for this one, the multitude that are lesser fish have no appeal to me at all.

Now, I do beleive that it might make sense to pursue the breed (at least in this country) as a sales opportunity as hi utsuri seem very popular and even poor examples fetch good prices. Perhaps with some refinement coming from pursuing the breed as a primary rather than by-product of other breeds could result in some better examples.

I have always seen Dainichi as the purveyor of the most refined specimens of gosanke. Maybe because it was so long ago when I was there, many of the other breeders and lines had not yet come into existance.

But also, every year Shigeru comes to Texas and sells a few koi. While not every one works out, most actually grow into magnificent specimens, and most folks bought what amounts to "low end Dainichi" for less than $200.

But way beyond that, I managed to see The Inazuma Showa, and even raised offspring from her and then bred and sold her grandbabies. Until I saw photos (never saw the fish in person) of Sakura, I felt The Inazuma was the best koi ever. Although there have been bigger koi, I feel I've not seen a fish or picture of one that is better than Sakura.

I also like the Dainichi history and fact that they have been rice and fish farmers instead of industrialists, doctors, lawyers, etc. that "went into fish farming." Even though quite wealthy, I still get that "salt of the earth" sense when visiting with Shigeru, it was strong in his dad and even more so in his mother.

At least in the US, I've not seen any bigger gosanke than those coming from Dainichi, but then again I do not get around as much as I used to. But not so far down the road (20 minutes) is a pond full of Dainichi "sea monsters." Maybe that is it, I do not get the chance to see any of the best from other breeders here.

At any rate, I hope to keep seeing your remarks and comments as they are enlightening.
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by 4TEXAS View Post
    *** But give me a couple of months on the new food diet that I'll be feeding her and then you can tell me what you think again later.
    Now, I wonder what new food that would be??? ...I think one month should be enough for an interim report on her progress. Good luck with the heat!

I am sure hoping to see this koi in person at the San Antonio Show October 22-23. For more show information go to Texas Koi & Fancy Gold Fish Society - Home

hi Ray,

I'm sure Tom will be bringing her to either Dallas or San Antonio this year.

Dallas Koi Kichi Group - 2011 Koi Show

26" on June 12th, I'm sure she'll be well above 27 if not 28 by either show.

Duc

Tategoi

Father's Day

Well it's almost Father's Day!! No wife and kids, just me my six pack and my koi pond in Texas 98 degree heat. What to do, but enjoy my day off. so I decided to bowl my new addition up again to make a better video of her for everyone to see.

YouTube - ‪MrDainichi's Channel‬‏

She is still very stressed as her skin has not truly shown her sign, but the beni quality is amazing. I believe it's the pattern on the sumi on the face that makes her head look small. But anyway enjoy the video! I hope everyone has a Happy Father's Day as Iam.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123