Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you really know how?

Sansai

Do you really know how?

Do all of you know the proper way to release a fish that has been bagged for more than 2 hours? Please tell the steps you take from start to finish.
    There is a correct way and lots of wrong ways. This is not meant to make anyone feel foolish, but is meant to educate the hobbyist so as not to do harm to the fish.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    Do all of you know the proper way to release a fish that has been bagged for more than 2 hours? Please tell the steps you take from start to finish.
    There is a correct way and lots of wrong ways. This is not meant to make anyone feel foolish, but is meant to educate the hobbyist so as not to do harm to the fish.

Interestingly we had this conversation with the breeders at the Indonesia Young Koi Show whilst we were having dinner. They didn't have a definitive way.

I float the bag to allow water temp to stabilize unless the fish have been bagged for a really long time and the water looks horrible....then get them out quicker. I do not open the bag until it's time to release them. Once the bag is opened, I reach in and take the fish out and place him in QT. The bag water is discarded. Once the bag is opened, the pH begins to quickly rise making the ammonia in the bag much more toxic so I never open the bag until I am ready to remove the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    ... There is a correct way and lots of wrong ways. ....
    I am waiting for the "correct way" info.

--Dinh

Fry

dead koi

i have just lost another koi my pond is about 2000 gal in size i seem to loose about one koi every year is that normal all the other fish are fine i tested the water and my th alk and ph was low is this normal

Quote Originally Posted by jim7214 View Post
    i have just lost another koi my pond is about 2000 gal in size i seem to loose about one koi every year is that normal all the other fish are fine i tested the water and my th alk and ph was low is this normal

no, it's not normal to lose fish. low kH means unstable pH and that can kill fish. You may want to start a new thread though....this question is going to get lost in this thread.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    no, it's not normal to lose fish. low kH means unstable pH and that can kill fish. You may want to start a new thread though....this question is going to get lost in this thread.

i dont know how to make a thread and what is the best
    way to stable my ph

I float the bag to allow water temp to stabilize.
    I like to open the bag and dilute the water inside 50/50 with the pond water that the fish is going into.
    After about 45min. to one hour, I dump the fish and bagged water into a Koi tub.
    I put the fish in the pond.
    All the bag water is discarded.

That is how I use to do it after a show or when bringing a new fish home from a dealer.

Now I just float the bag in the pond as long as it takes me to finish unloading the car... then I place the fish in the pond and discard the water.

If the fish is eating when I feed it in the morning... I'm happy.

Note: If I was getting a fish that has been shipped in a bag for over 24 hours... as soon as I could I would open the bag and do a partial water change with aged, dechlor water about the same temperature and reoxygenate and seal the bag for the trip home.
    Last edited by ricshaw; 06-14-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Oyagoi
    right or wrong here is my way.
    this is at show and at home.

I float bag to get temps the same.(Unless koi is really thrashing i will do faster).I try on ride to be able to have car temp close to water temp so will be much quicker so when koi are floating them seem to thrash when they can see out.
    then next step is i unwrap the bag and wife grabs end and release water and all into show bowl just as koi is coming out head first one hand under head and then other hand under belly I lift and place in water right away with that fast they do not even get a chance to jumop swim or even know what is going on so seconds from opening bag koi is in tank water. then we take and throw water away.
    usually have show bowl even outside of tank for small koi but not comforatble picking up a 24+ inch koi from ground to over side of show vat.
    at home pond is ground level one so from my knees i lift all koi from bowl into water.

so no i do not QT koi when i get home will be what some people see as negative.
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I float the bag to allow water temp to stabilize unless the fish have been bagged for a really long time and the water looks horrible....then get them out quicker. I do not open the bag until it's time to release them. Once the bag is opened, I reach in and take the fish out and place him in QT. The bag water is discarded. Once the bag is opened, the pH begins to quickly rise making the ammonia in the bag much more toxic so I never open the bag until I am ready to remove the fish.
    A gold star for you for all the right points. The most important one being the pH shift. What happens is that the more time the fish spends in the bagged water, the CO2 produced during normal respiration acidifies the water which allows the ammonium being produced to be non-toxic due to the lowering of the pH of the water. Opening the bag reverses this and mixing in tank water or pond water compounds this by spiking the pH level which immediately burns the gills.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast