Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter tote 250 gallon

Sansai

Filter tote 250 gallon

I just found a screaming deal on a 250 gallon tote for $60... I can't find one for less than $250 around here. I called the guy who is like 45 minutes away. He said it had paint in it..... I was curious if I could use this for filtration? if so.... what steps should I make to make sure this is completely clean as to not harm my fish? He seams to think I could just rinse it out and be fine... he says he sells them all the time to farmers who water their livestock?
    Anyway thanks for any advice in advance
    Mike....

Sansai
    What kind of paint? Water base or oil base?

Sansai
    DARNIT!!!!
    I called to ask what kinda paint and he had already sold it!!!!
    BOOOO! Oh well I still have a month or so to look around!
    Thanks though

If he sells them for livestock tanks they MIGHT be OK for fish....it's hard to say. I'd cut the top off and pressure wash it. Then I'd treat it with a really strong batch of potassium permanganate. And then I'd fill it up and put some small fish in it for a month or so and see how they do. I got two 330 gallon totes recently that had mulch dye in them for $55 each. They have a nice sturdy 2" valve on them too. The product name was clearly labeled on the tote so I was able to find the MSDS sheet on line and learned that it was a totally non-toxic product. The 275 gallon tote I used for the filtration on my new pond had a crappy valve. I cut the valve off and used a rubber fernco fitting to attach a new ball valve. I could only use a 1 1/2" valve because of the size of the neck the old valve was attached to.

Sansai
    Yeah, he only had the one. He said he wouldn't be getting anymore so.... Guess I'll have to look around some more
    Once I buy some (totes, or tanks or whatever) Where do I find this stuff... "potassium permanganite" ????
    I would much rather be safe than sorry.....
    Geeze, I also went to a dealer for pricing on a liner and underlayment. He went out of business
    I look on line... (not really possitive yet on what size i need) but to look at liners and for a 70' X 50' seams its gonna cost a little more than $2,000. This doesn't include the underlayment. WOW what have I got myself into here ???? lol

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    If he sells them for livestock tanks they MIGHT be OK for fish....it's hard to say. I'd cut the top off and pressure wash it. Then I'd treat it with a really strong batch of potassium permanganate. And then I'd fill it up and put some small fish in it for a month or so and see how they do. I got two 330 gallon totes recently that had mulch dye in them for $55 each. They have a nice sturdy 2" valve on them too. The product name was clearly labeled on the tote so I was able to find the MSDS sheet on line and learned that it was a totally non-toxic product. The 275 gallon tote I used for the filtration on my new pond had a crappy valve. I cut the valve off and used a rubber fernco fitting to attach a new ball valve. I could only use a 1 1/2" valve because of the size of the neck the old valve was attached to.
    When looking to buy used totes... filter your choices by looking for "food grade tote". It will narrow your search down to the safer ones.

Sansai
    Thanks Ricshaw!!!
    I wish there were more readily available!!! there are some at a local farming store.... but they want $250 a piece for them SHEEESH!

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I wish there were more readily available!!! there are some at a local farming store.... but they want $250 a piece for them SHEEESH!
    Yes, I am having the same problem finding one in the Los Angeles area.

Too many people are buying the used totes and then reselling them at a mark-up.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Yes, I am having the same problem finding one in the Los Angeles area.

Too many people are buying the used totes and then reselling them at a mark-up.
    Same with Me, still hoping to find a deal on them.

Sansai
    well the good news.... Is after looking at how much liners cost today... I came home and used a piece of rope to measure my pond... (up and down the sides and across the bottom. And good news... I'll prolly only need a piece of 40' X 40'!!!! Hopefully this will be lots cheaper.
    so.....
    What about framing a (settling tank? and using a piece of liner for it? well a few settling tanks in my case!
    Hmmm.. lumber and liner will prolly end up costing me as much as a $250 tote GEEZE!!!! all this work, time and effort for a few fish :| haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast