Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi turned cannibal

Nisai

Koi turned cannibal

I know koi will eat baby fish but while feeding our koi today in the mud pond my wife noticed one of our 20cm koi take a baby natural carp while it was trying to take the koi food. I said it must have been an accident as the koi was probably trying to take the food. Any how we watched and it happened again... And again. Some how this koi has developed a taste for real meat and is not intrested in the Hikari food at all.. What the koi does is go about 30cm under the water while it spots a baby nibbling at the koi food, then he'll swim up behind the baby and suck it in while leaving the koi food. We watched him eat 5 or 6 babys just like that without eating any of the pellets. Quite amasing to see only a 20cm koi taking babies that are a couple of cms in size and use the koi food as bait. God knows whats going to happen when it gets bigger. Anyone seen koi do this?

Anyhow my wife then turned to me and asked what do the breaders do with all the fish they cull? Straight away I replied 'you know the film soilent green'? We had a good chuckle about it but I have no idea if thats what happens to the culled frys. Can anyone enlighten me if that does happen on the koi farms?

My wife attended a koi auction at Pan Intercorp a couple weeks ago and came home with three baby koi all around 4" or so. We plunked them into the quarantine in the garage where I've got a couple 20" males and instantly the bigger koi started chasing the babies like mad! I told my wife, it's ok, once they get close enough and realize they're koi it should be fine. Well, one of the babies was up in the corner sucking at some algae and my shiro utsuri came up from below and and tried to suck it down! I was pretty surprised as these weren't that tiny... Anyway, I had to put something in the water for the babies to hide under while they do some growing. I had always heard that koi won't eat other koi, (once the fry were big enough to identify)... well that's a myth! "Baby koi, it's what's for dinner!"

Grant

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    Straight away I replied 'you know the film soilent green'? We had a good chuckle about it but I have no idea if thats what happens to the culled frys. Can anyone enlighten me if that does happen on the koi farms?
    No idea about the film, but I can give you some ideas about what happens to culls.

As with most questions there is no black and white answer.

Some culls will be fed back, not live, cooked and or minced.

Some will just be discarded.

Some are used as fertlilizer.

"Sibling Sushi" is commonplace when Koi fry are growing up together as the Tobies will gobble up their slow growing siblings without hesitation. Juveniles, (especially males it seems) will aggressively pursue fry to eat if the opportunity presents itself, and this seems to continue until they are sexually mature in my personal experience.

I've had Koi of all sizes living in the same pond over the years, and they tend to self-segregate according to size. Koi smaller than 6" tend to avoid the larger ones completely, and only as they grow to a "safe" 6" will they move over to the "adult" school, never to return to the "kiddie school" once they do.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    No idea about the film,
    Charlton Heston flick..........they turned old peoples into food.