Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help transporting fertilized koi eggs??

Help transporting fertilized koi eggs??

My friend has talked me into breeding koi again. I knew it was a pain in the rump...but, here I am trying again. So, in a 1200 gallon pool went 2 female showa from Isa and Marudoh...A male showa from Kenezo and Doitsu male Showa from Miya. They spawned last night and the koi are back in my pond. The eggs are going to be transferred to my friends facility tomorrow. They are on 6 foot spawning mops/brushes.
    My question is...how wet do they need to stay?? The drive is only 10 minutes. Do they need to be completely submerged, like in a container or plastic bag(plus a 100 lbs of water)? Or...just damp, maybe covered in wet rags or newspapers? Any advice is appreciated...I am clueless on how to handle it properly.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

I've seen eggs shipped overnight in similar circumstances as the koi themselves. Oxygen, plastic bagged ,water to cover the media that they were spawned on. For ten minutes it should be a piece of cake. If transported out of influence of heat should be no problem. If heat maybe a problem then an insulated container or ice pack may be good insurance. tell your contact i said have fun when doing the initial culling. two females HeH ?, makes my eyes bulge and back ach just thinking about culling them

Thank Dick. What is really a pain is I did not want to breed koi and raise them again. I did it in the past and it was brutal. Now...he is getting those mops full of eggs....BUt, I have the 1200 gal pool also full of eggs!!! So, I guess I am raising koi again as well. I still have nightmares over trying to cull them!!! But...can't waste the effort I already put in, don't know which one may be a 90cm Grand Champion some day

Jumbo
    If you don't want to use bags and oxygen and aerated container could be used.

Oyagoi
    I usually haul eggs on media in a tank with an oxygen diffuser. However, really big koi and goldfish farms (and minnow farms also) regularly haul huge spawning media frames full of eggs on the same type of truck that hauls large panes of glass. They wet the eggs and media and cover them with a tarp. The frames are loaded and unloaded with a fork lift and the eggs hauled for as long as half an hour without any harm. If they are to be longer than that, then the egg laden mats are sprayed to keep them damp.

Fish eggs are a lot tougher than fish.

Although I've done it, I've found doitsu to wagoi crosses tend to yeild a lot of screwed up doitsugoi. Scales not lined up right, many armored scaled fish, and the occasional "If the scales were decent this would be a great koi."
    Brett

Thanks Brett...I hope my doitsu makes a few decent ones. The male scaled showa was much bigger...and probably did more of the fertilizing. I shipped the spawning mops today and all went well. Put them in large bags...submerged in water, and used pure oxygen. Now...the waiting game. I have tons in my basement pool...really want to see how they do. Smells like week old Lox down there

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Thanks Brett...I hope my doitsu makes a few decent ones. The male scaled showa was much bigger...and probably did more of the fertilizing. I shipped the spawning mops today and all went well. Put them in large bags...submerged in water, and used pure oxygen. Now...the waiting game. I have tons in my basement pool...really want to see how they do. Smells like week old Lox down there
    We'll need to get some week old bagels to go with it! Love Lox and bagels, and I'm allowed to eat it.

Always an adventure in anticipation, to see "what you got."

I suppose you could spread the Koiviar on a week old bagel, but I like my lox "fresher" and my bagels toasty
    Speaking of Koiviar... if you don't want to raise the fry you could just scoop 'em up and feed them to the tosai tanks. I've never seen them turn down "fresh protein"

Nah...now that the deed is done, I have to follow through and see the results. Hopefully a few decent showa from the bunch.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how brutal and nightmarish it is for you in the year ahead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast