Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing pond size to increase friendliness?

Reducing pond size to increase friendliness?

I finished my pond build a couple months ago and moved all of the koi that I had in my tank to my pond. In my tank they would eat out of my hands and would greet me and my family at the glass if we were near it. With the pond they all shun away from me. If I stay extremely still, they still are not getting too close. I have tried half a dozen tricks/tips to get them to come closer and feed once again, but I have had no success.

That being said, I was thinking that maybe I should reduce the size (to the fish at least) by using a net to block the fish from using a large portion of the pond. If they were friendly in close confines with no where to hide like in the tank, maybe I could recreate it this way and then slowly move the net back further and further as they get more friendly until the net is removed all together.

Any thoughts?

Usually not too hard to get some koi to fed out of your hand. First, stop feeding for one week. Then find a comfortable place to sit quietly on the side of the pond. Do not let anyone else near the pond while you do this. Toss a couple of koi pellets a few feet from you. Wait quietly until they have eaten the pellets. Toss a few more pellets about a foot from you. Then put your hand in the water and toss a few pellets about two feet away. Then toss a few about a foot away. Then place a few pellets in your hand and slowly let them drift away. Continue until the koi eat out of your hand. Might take a couple of sessions but be patient and move very to not spook the koi. Once they start eating out of your hand you can let other approach slowly while you are hand feeding. As they get accustomed to you feeding them they will let other hand feed also.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Starving the fish is not an option at this point. Part of getting into the hobby was the hopes to compete. With it being the summer season where they are eating like maniacs and growing, i do not want to take that away. I have cut back on food, but still no change either. Again though, i have tried almost every published method i could find. Nobody has mentioned reducing space though. My thoughts are that the are afraid and they have an option to flee so they do so. If i remove the option, then they must engage me. The hope is that once they engage me, the fear will drop fast.

Oyagoi
    if wanting to compete now you have added the chance for injury with the net.

how long have you tried in new pond?
    with putting them in new pond you changed everything they were comfortable with.

do not know how many koi you have but if you start getting koi piling on top of each other to get to your hand you are risky injury again with them getting close to edge

Having "clear" pond water helps a lot to tame Koi during feeding.

With the exception of two new arrivals, most have been in there for roughly 2 months now. The water is clear as can be too. I am running two UV pressure filters circulating the water just under three times an hour.

Also in reference to show, and damage noted...the show is more for fun, experience, etc. I have no real desire to raise a grand champion. Its raise some fish for fun and relaxation and if they pull in a prize, then more power to them. The top priority though is the relaxation as fish have a calming effect on me which helps with my MS. The "net" would actually be pool screen pulled tight around irrigation pipe that was shaped. I do not see much damage if any happening with that.

<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/222067364470497" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/222067364470497" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

The link above might help. It was my pond at general completion. Have waterproofed it since and my bog plants are huge now. My tomatoe plants are not 5ft tall.

Meg
    if show is for fun, experiance, ect.... then stop feeding for a week as a weeks fast will not change a thing, and try what is suggested. but use smooshed shrimp to entice the fish. or wait till you have finished a show and try then ...you have to fast for show anyway.
    weather you show or not, injury is not good and I would about bet if a net is left in the water at least one of your koi will get in trouble, most likely your favorite.

After rereading this Thread I've decided to Delete my Post.

Good Luck
    Last edited by HEADACHE6; 06-26-2011 at 12:22 AM.

I am trying to say this without being rude, but please focus on the question at hand of reducing the pond size. This group is very opinionated to say the least and the focus is being lost. I have tried the dozen or so various options recommended around the web, in the blogs, and it includes what has been suggested. As noted, they have not worked. I am concerned more about the idea of reducing space to focus on interaction.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast