Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Will my Koi breed naturally? video*

Fry

Will my Koi breed naturally? video*

Hi, i have a few koi between 2-3 years old that i want to know if they are old enough to breed naturally. The koi that i believe is female is the black and white one and is close to 3 years old. The 2 koi that i believe are males and want to breed with the female is the white body koi with red marking on its head and the other one is red black and white. both are between 2-3 years old. All 3 of them are between 7"-10"

YouTube - ‪Koi Fish in Wood Pond‬‏

Can you? Yes.
    Could they? Yes.
    Should you?... Probably not.

This may sound rude, but it isn't intended to be so be patient and read on.

Your 2-3 year old Koi are in all likelihood sexually mature enough to reproduce, but at 7"-10" in length they are only as large as a typical tosai (1 year old). Koi that are either environmentally or genetically stunted tend to produce a much higher number of deformed fry than normal.

Backyard breeding efforts are a nearly irresistible challenge, especially for those relatively new to the hobby. The results you can count on are the Koi equivalent of "puppy mill mutts". I know that isn't your intention so don't take it personally. It's just the reality of attempting to breed nice fish from the wrong parents.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

MCA
    Well said Larry. The last thing the hobby needs is more "cheap and cheerful" koi. Even breeding high end koi brought over from Niigata will result in thousands of culls.

I would recommend focusing on quality (pond system, purchased koi) and leave quantity of koi to professional breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Well said Larry. The last thing the hobby needs is more "cheap and cheerful" koi. Even breeding high end koi brought over from Niigata will result in thousands of culls.

I would recommend focusing on quality (pond system, purchased koi) and leave quantity of koi to professional breeders.

You mean the ad for 15 koi for $5 on craiglist isn't going to win me a show? LOL. I agree with ya 100% on that one.

Hi Ncrazyballa,

Welcome to the forum. It is NOT a good idea to mix the different varieties because you will end up with a bunch of mutts. However, if breeding is your area of interest, then you should pursue it. That's how many of the professional breeders got started. Getting koi to spawn is very easy, but raising fry and culling them is the hard part. You also need to have parent set with good genetics. Most koi varieties do not breed true because of so much imbreeding. In any given spawn, there are many rejects. So culling is the only way to sort out what to keep.

Before jumping in and start breeding koi, I would recommend doing more research to make sure that you understand the breeding compatibility with different varieties of koi as well as the culling process.

Personnally, I find breeding to be very educational and fun. Knowing how difficult it is to produce high quality fish makes me appreciate the quality and price of koi offered by professional breeders even more.

Good luck!