Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: KHV and Goldfish

KHV and Goldfish

For some time researchers have known that KHV can enter goldfish without the goldfish ever developing a health problem. It has not been known whether KHV could reproduce itself within the goldfish (or would be controlled by the goldfish immune system), nor whether goldfish could transmit KHV to koi. Several researchers in the field considered it likely that goldfish could transmit KHV to koi, but no instance of transmission could be established. A new study led by Mansour El-Matbouli, one of the leading researchers in the KHV field, concludes that KHV can replicate within a goldfish and can be transmitted from goldfish to carp through cohabitation.

This is just one study and has not been confirmed by independent experiments as far as I am aware. Nonetheless, it follows investigatory inquiries into instances of KHV outbreaks that appeared most likely to have occurred due to transmission from goldfish, although not definitively established that such occurred. At this point, it seems advisable for koikeepers to consider goldfish to be potential carriers and to utilize care accordingly. Please recall, the usual quarantine heat-cycling techniques used with koi will not work to induce an outbreak with goldfish. The goldfish carrier is immune to the disease and will not show any symptoms.

A hobbyist who has kept goldfish with their koi for years without any problems is very likely safe to continue keeping their goldfish. I do not mean to cause those with goldfish mixed with their koi to feel they must eliminate the goldfish. Indeed, the ordinary Comet known to be KHV-free may actually have a smidge of value to those who like the idea of a mixed population. Personally, I ceased using my little lily pond as a QT for new tosai a few years ago because it is home to some old goldfish. When they are gone, I doubt I will be acquiring any more.

I'll never add another goldfish but we have a fantail chubby goldfish in the koi pond that was basically our first fish in our first kidney shaped home depot pond.

He firmly believes he's a koi and to be honest, despite a genetic challenge when dealing with the currents has been a refreshing chuckle from time to time as he swims up and down the full depth of the koi pond.

We often joke that he's the bodybuilder of the chubby goldfish world. And he's actually gotten quite huge with his diet of high quality koi food and good water.

Thanks for the info on KHV Mike. The fact they won't show symptoms yet can carry and transmit the disease is good reason to exclude them from any collection.

Do you know if they can be tested for KHV? The elisa test that checks for antibodies within the blood may work if goldfish produce them I suppose, but the PCR test may not have any value???

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    For some time researchers have known that KHV can enter goldfish without the goldfish ever developing a health problem. It has not been known whether KHV could reproduce itself within the goldfish (or would be controlled by the goldfish immune system), nor whether goldfish could transmit KHV to koi. Several researchers in the field considered it likely that goldfish could transmit KHV to koi, but no instance of transmission could be established. A new study led by Mansour El-Matbouli, one of the leading researchers in the KHV field, concludes that KHV can replicate within a goldfish and can be transmitted from goldfish to carp through cohabitation.
    This is good to know, Mike, and thanks for sharing. I know more than one hobbyist who uses a gold fish or two to keep their QT cycling and ready for new koi introductions or that odd medical emergency. If they've been using the same goldfish for some time with no ill affects, they are probably OK to continue. But this is good food for thought for anyone considering adding 'new' goldfish to their system, be it ponds or QT set-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    We often joke that he's the bodybuilder of the chubby goldfish world. And he's actually gotten quite huge with his diet of high quality koi food and good water.
    Love it. My left over tiny pellets went to the goldfish in my aquarium. They are beasts and one has been dubbed Frankenstien for his size. Its funny you mention it as I believe its a koi owner in the Netherlands that holds the record for the largest. Maybe it will be my second hobby to break that record, lol...

Fantastic Pets - Longest Goldfish